Windsor Spitfires Mourn the Loss of Former Scout Michael Kokavec
The Windsor Spitfires are mourning the loss of former scout Michael Kokavec who worked alongside former GM Warren Rychel.
Michael was a long time Windsor resident and a employee at Ford Motor Co. for 29 years. He passed peacefully, holding the hand of his loving wife and surrounded by his children. Cherished husband of Lubica for 41 years. Treasured father of Mike and wife Leslie, and Veronica and husband Derek Bryksa. Devoted Grandpa of Olivia, Carson, Kylie, Mila and Blake. Predeceased by his loving mother and father, Vilma and Michael. Dear brother of Igor and wife Kvetka, Peter and wife Kathy, and the late Jan (1951). He will be sadly missed by many cousins, nieces, and nephews, and dear family and friends, many of whom are in Slovakia.
Michael was always known to be the life of the party, enjoying good humour and making people laugh. He loved to travel home to Slovakia, where he spent time with his extended family. As much as he loved his home land, you will not find someone who was more proud to be Canadian and truly believed Canada was the best country in the world. For the past several years, he was learning Italian and wished to travel Italy in retirement. An avid hockey fan, Michael thoroughly enjoyed taking part in conversations about all things hockey, particularly the Windsor Spitfires. Michael was a scout for the Spitfires from 2006-2019.
"Mike was always a pleasure to see at the rink" said Warren Rychel. "He was instrumental in securing his fellow countryman Richard Panik after the Spitfires drafted him in first round of the 2009 CHL Import Draft 10th overall."
Our thoughts and prayers go to Micheal's family at this time. May he rest in peace.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from October 7, 2020
- 78 CHL Players Selected in 2020 NHL Draft - OHL
- San Jose Selects Coe - North Bay Battalion
- Chicago Blackhawks Select Chad Yetman at NHL Draft - Erie Otters
- Cranley Headed to the Blues - Ottawa 67's
- Hounds Leading Goal Producer Kerins Becomes a Flame - Soo Greyhounds
- Firebirds' Oksentyuk Selected by Dallas Stars in NHL Draft - Flint Firebirds
- Nico Daws Drafted by the New Jersey Devils in the 3rd Round of the 2020 NHL Entry Draft - Guelph Storm
- Tyler Tullio Selected 126 Overall by the Edmonton Oilers - Oshawa Generals
- Blues Select Dickinson at 119 - Soo Greyhounds
- Pytlik Picked by New Jersey Devils - Soo Greyhounds
- Jean-Luc Foudy Selected 75th Overall by the Colorado Avalanche - Windsor Spitfires
- Minnesota Makes O'Rourke Their 2nd Round Selection - Soo Greyhounds
- Windsor Spitfires Mourn the Loss of Former Scout Michael Kokavec - Windsor Spitfires
- Seven OHL Players Selected in First Round of 2020 NHL Draft - OHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.