Fifth Third Burger Still A Hit With Whitecaps Fans
The burger that took the country by storm is still captivating fans at Fifth Third Ballpark.
So far this season, 915 Fifth Third Burgers have been sold. 174 people have attempted the burger challenge and 99 managed to finish the "dietary disaster," earning them the right to be called burger champs.
One of the 99 burger champions included 16-year-old Steve Landis of Grand Rapids. Landis was the first person to wolf down the monster burger. Landis also came back later in the season and finished another one, making him the first person to conquer the burger twice.
With the record for most burgers eaten already established, East Grand Rapids Public Safety Captain Brian Williams set the speed mark. Williams finished the burger in 17 minutes.
Mickey Graham, the Whitecaps Director of Marketing and Media Relations, is still amazed by the burger's popularity.
"The response that the burger has gotten has been unbelievable," said Graham. "We had no idea the burger was going to be this popular."
The Fifth Third Burger became an overnight sensation earlier this spring when Darren Rovell featured the 4,800-calorie burger in his blog on CNBC.com. From there, the burger's popularity exploded, being featured on TV shows like SportsCenter and The Early Show as well as many publications around the globe.
Fans can pick up a Fifth Third Burger and take the challenge at any Whitecaps home game this season.
The Whitecaps return home Thursday, June 25 to take on the Great Lakes Loons at 7:00 p.m. Individual and group tickets are on sale and can be purchased at the West Michigan Glass Block Ticket Office at Fifth Third Ballpark, by calling the Whitecaps front office at 616-784-4131 or by visiting www.whitecapsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 24, 2009
- TinCaps Help East to 6-3 All-Star Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Superbowl MVP at Ballpark This Friday - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Bandits Kick Off Second Half with Bobbleheads, Jersey Auctions, and Super Bowl MVP Richard Dent! - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Fifth Third Burger Still A Hit With Whitecaps Fans - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Bandits Offering Luxury Giveaway - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cougars July 8th Game to Honor Children with Peanuts Allergies - Kane County Cougars
- Second Half Starts at Home for Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Silver Hawks Shuffle Pitchers - South Bend Silver Hawks
- All-Star Reliever Gayhart Promoted to Lakeland - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.