FC Dallas Signs Brazilian Midfielder Ricardo Villar
FRISCO, Texas (Feb. 7, 2011) - FC Dallas added depth to its midfield with the signing of Brazilian midfielder Ricardo Villar, pending receipt of his International Transfer Certificate, the club announced today. Per Major League Soccer and club policy, terms of the deal will not be disclosed.
"We're very happy to have Ricardo be part of FC Dallas," said head coach Schellas Hyndman. "He's a player that comes in with great experience, having played in Germany and also in Austria. He can help us in our attack. He's got good technical ability, great vision and a very good soccer brain. With the pressures of trying to be the same attacking-minded and explosive type team that we've been in the past, we know that a lot of pressure will be on David (Ferreira). Not only is David a good player, but now he's MVP and I think Villar coming in will be able to take some of that pressure off David."
The addition of Villar bolsters FC Dallas' South American contingent of players, which includes 2010 MLS MVP David Ferreira (Colombia), Jair Benitez (Colombia), Milton Rodriguez (Colombia), Bruno Guarda (Brazil) and Jackson (Brazil).
"Ricardo Villar is an excellent acquisition for the club," FC Dallas Technical Director Barry Gorman said. "He possesses numerous qualities that will benefit the club on and off the field."
Born on Aug. 11, 1979, in S=E3o Paulo, Brazil, Villar began his career with the youth ranks of S=E3o Paulo FC, the same club Hyndman worked with as a coach in 1976-77 (FC Dallas defender Jackson is also currently on loan from S=E3o Paulo FC). Villar left S=E3o Paulo FC in 1996 to play collegiate soccer at Penn State University for Gorman.
From 1997 to 2001 Villar scored 27 goals and added 31 assists for the Nittany Lions. He was a First Team All-Big Ten selection in 1999 after scoring a Penn State record seven game-winning goals. Villar remains 11th all-time in points scored for Penn State in a career.
Villar remained in the U.S. following his college career, playing for the Hampton Roads Mariners and Pittsburgh Riverhounds in the A-League from 2002 to 2004. In two seasons Villar scored eight goals in 49 appearances. He made the jump to Europe in 2004, joining Austrian first division side SV Austria Salzburg for a season before a short stint in Asia with the Chunam Dragons. Villar returned to Germany in 2006, signing with second division FC Kaiserslautern.
Villar enjoyed his most successful run with German second division club Spielvereinigung (SpVgg) Unterhaching from 2006 to 2009, scoring nine goals in 63 appearances. He moved to second division Greek side Rodos FC for the 2009 season, but returned to SpVgg Unterhaching for the 2010 season.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 7, 2011
- Timbers Weekly Update - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Drop Preseason Opener Against Chivas USA, 1-0 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Weekly Update: Chivas USA Tops San Jose, Brings in New Zealand Duo on Trial - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chivas USA Takes 1-0 Win Over San Jose Earthquakes in Preseason Scrimmage - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Fire Preseason Camp Rolls into Second Week - Chicago Fire
- FC Dallas Signs Brazilian Midfielder Ricardo Villar - FC Dallas
- Dike Undergoes Successful Surgery - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Dallas Update - FC Dallas
- Sounders FC Invites Fans to Attend a Training Session and Lunch - Seattle Sounders FC
- Dynamo Players Cruz, Chabala Featured in MTV Made Episode to Debut Today - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Dallas Stories
- FC Dallas Downs Revolution, 1-0, to Remain Unbeaten
- #NEvFCD: 5 Things You Need to Know About the Match
- FC Dallas Signs 22nd Homegrown Player, Chris Richards
- FC Dallas Announces Major Technology Partnership with NEC Corporation of America
- FC Dallas' Match against the LA Galaxy on May 12 Sold Out