Weekly Update: Chivas USA Tops San Jose, Brings in New Zealand Duo on Trial
RED-AND-WHITE EARN VICTORY OVER SAN JOSE: Chivas USA faced MLS competition for the first time in 2011 on Monday afternoon, taking a 1-0 win against the San Jose Earthquakes with the only goal coming from Alan Gordon. Victor Estupiñan assisted on the goal, which was Gordon's second of preseason. For more information on the match, please visit cdchivasusa.com .
NEW ZEALAND NATIONAL TEAMERS JOIN CHIVAS ON TRIAL: A pair of 2010 FIFA World Cup veterans from the New Zealand National Team have joined Chivas USA on trial, as both Simon Elliott and Andrew Boyens played in Monday's scrimmage against San Jose. Elliott, who has played for the LA Galaxy, Columbus Crew and San Jose Earthquakes, as well as Fulham in England, was most recently with Wellington Phoenix in New Zealand, while Andrew Boyens spent 2010 with the New York Red Bulls.
YAMITH CUESTA WAIVED BY CLUB: Chivas USA announced on Monday that defender Yamith Cuesta, who joined the club in late 2009 and played 15 regular season games in two seasons for the club, has been waived. The Colombian defender made nine appearances (all starts) in his first season after joining the Red-and-White on August 14, 2009, and played just six games (three starts) in 2010. Midfielder Ernesto Carranza, a 2011 Supplemental Draft pick, has also been released from Chivas USA's preseason camp.
MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER TO REVEAL FULL SCHEDULE ON THURSDAY: Major League Soccer will release its full 2011 schedule on Thursday, February 10, featuring a balanced schedule in which each of the league's 18 clubs will play each other once at home and once on the road. Chivas USA opens the season on Saturday, March 19 when it hosts Omar Bravo and Sporting Kansas City at The Home Depot Center in Carson. Stay tuned to cdchivausa.com for the latest information on the team, and for the full schedule when it is released.
PRESEASON MATCH SCHEDULE: Chivas USA has played two matches so far this preseason, and has won both and is yet to concede a goal. After topping the Fresno Fuego in Paso Robles last week, the Red-and-White beat the San Jose Earthquakes on Monday, and will next face Seattle Sounders FC on Saturday in Arizona. The full schedule of matches is below:
CHIVAS USA - PRESEASON 2011
DAY DATE OPPONENT (LOCATION) RESULT/TIME*(Scorers)
Tue Feb 1 vs. Fresno Fuego (Paso Robles, CA) W, 2-0 (Gordon, Estupiñan)
Mon Feb 7 vs. San Jose Earthquakes (HDC) W, 1-0 (Gordon)
Sat Feb 12 vs. Seattle Sounders (Casa Grande, AZ) 10:30 a.m. MT
Tue Feb 15 vs. Real Salt Lake (Casa Grande, AZ) 12:00 p.m. MT
Fri Feb 18 vs. Vancouver Whitecaps (Casa Grande, AZ) 11:00 a.m. MT
Fri Feb 25 vs. D.C. United (HDC) 12:00 p.m. PT
Sat Mar 12 vs. F.C. Dallas (Frisco, TX) 7:30 p.m. CT
SAT MAR 19 vs. SPORTING KANSAS CITY (OPENING DAY) 7:30 p.m. PT
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 7, 2011
- Timbers Weekly Update - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Drop Preseason Opener Against Chivas USA, 1-0 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Weekly Update: Chivas USA Tops San Jose, Brings in New Zealand Duo on Trial - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chivas USA Takes 1-0 Win Over San Jose Earthquakes in Preseason Scrimmage - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Fire Preseason Camp Rolls into Second Week - Chicago Fire
- FC Dallas Signs Brazilian Midfielder Ricardo Villar - FC Dallas
- Dike Undergoes Successful Surgery - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Dallas Update - FC Dallas
- Sounders FC Invites Fans to Attend a Training Session and Lunch - Seattle Sounders FC
- Dynamo Players Cruz, Chabala Featured in MTV Made Episode to Debut Today - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.