Espinoza, Myers To Participate In Generation adidas Trip To South Africa
Two Kansas City Wizards will take part in an upcoming trip to South Africa by some of Major League Soccer's top young players. Midfielder Roger Espinoza and midfielder/defender Chance Myers, members of the Generation adidas program, will join 16 other MLS players on an 11-day trip that will feature three friendlies against reserve sides from the Premier Soccer League, South Africa's first division.
Espinoza was drafted 11th overall in the 2008 MLS SuperDraft out of Ohio State. He has played in 38 games (18 starts) over two seasons, scoring one goal and adding five assists. Espinoza became a regular member of the Honduras National Team in 2009, playing nine games and scoring two goals. He was named the Wizards Rookie of the Year in 2008 and took part in last year's Generation adidas trip to England for matches against the reserves of Chelsea FC, Aston Villa and Reading FC.
Myers was the 1st overall selection in the 2008 MLS SuperDraft out of UCLA. Myers has battled various injuries through his two professional seasons. He played in 10 games in 2008 before missing the second half of the season due to a bout with mononucleosis. Myers then suffered a broken metatarsal just before the start of the 2009 season, eventually playing six games down the stretch for Kansas City and registering one assist.
The Generation adidas squad will play in three friendlies against Premier Soccer League reserves, attend the World Cup 2010 official draw in Cape Town and tour Nelson Mandela's House. The team will also take part in the opening of the first ever FIFA Football for Hope Centre. Generation adidas is a programming allowing the best young players in the country to become professionals before the completion of college. Players receive stipends from adidas to continue their college education and do not count against MLS senior rosters.
Generation adidas 2009 Tour Participants:
Patrick Nyarko (Chicago Fire), Baggio Husidic (Chicago Fire), Ciaran O'Brien (Colorado Rapids), Rob Valentino (Colorado Rapids), Rodney Wallace (D.C. United), Chris Pontius (D.C. United), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), Josh Lambo (FC Dallas), Bruno Guarda (FC Dallas), Eric Avila (FC Dallas), Peri Marosevic (FC Dallas), Daniel Cruz (Houston Dynamo), Chance Myers (Kansas City Wizards), Roger Espinoza (Kansas City Wizards), Kevin Alston (New England Revolution), Jeremy Hall (New York Red Bulls), Anthony Beltran (Real Salt Lake), Stefan Frei (Toronto FC)
Generation adidas 2009 Tour Match Schedule:
Nov. 30 Orlando Pirates Reserves
Dec. 3 TBD
Dec. 6 AJAX Cape Town Reserves
The Kansas City Wizards are now accepting renewals from current season ticket holders and new season ticket deposits for the 2010 Major League Soccer season. The Wizards will begin the 2010 campaign with a home match on Saturday, March 27, 2010 at 7:30 p.m. CT against D.C. United at CommunityAmerica Ballpark. Kansas City, a charter member of Major League Soccer, will play its 15th season in 2010.
Fans who renew their season tickets or purchase new season-ticket packages will retain an early priority number that will determine seat locations in Kansas City's new stadium. To renew season tickets or place a deposit for new season tickets, call the Wizards locally at 913-387-3400, toll free at 1-877-828-7222 or visit www.kcwizards.com.
Kansas City is one of 27 remaining cities in the running to be part of the USA Bid Committee's bid submission to FIFA. The USA Bid Committee is expected to include 18 cities in their bid to FIFA, naming those cities in December. To support the effort, Kansas Citians are asked to sign the petition at www.goUSAbid.com/kc and pass the petition along to their friends and family.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 17, 2009
- Espinoza, Myers To Participate In Generation adidas Trip To South Africa - Sporting Kansas City
- Warzycha To Lead Ga Tour To South Africa, Crew Draws Toluca In Champions League Quarterfinals - Columbus Crew SC
- Revolution's Alston To Visit South Africa With Generation adidas - New England Revolution
- D.C. United's Pontius And Wallace To Make Generation adidas Trip - D.C. United
- Philadelphia Union Unveil First-Ever Game Jersey - Philadelphia Union
- Red Bull Jeremy Hall To Participate In Generation adidas Trip - New York Red Bulls
- Five FC Dallas Players Travel To South Africa With Generation adidas - FC Dallas
- Toronto FC's Frei Headed To South Africa - Toronto FC
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sporting Kansas City Stories
- Sporting KC Wins 4-2 Thriller, Advances to Conference Finals
- Preview: Sporting KC to Battle RSL in Home Playoff Game Sunday
- Sporting KC's Johnny Russell Named to Scotland National Team
- Sporting KC Rallies for 1-1 Road Result in Playoff Opener
- Preview: Sporting KC Begins Playoff Campaign Sunday at Real Salt Lake