Esks Add Strait To Secondary
(Edmonton) The Edmonton Eskimos have signed free agent import defensive back Derrick Strait, the club announced today.
Strait was drafted in the 3rd round (76th overall) of the 2004 NFL Draft by the New York Jets. In two years as a backup defensive back with the Jets, he played in 20 games and record 56 tackles. In 2006, he spent time on the rosters of Tampa Bay, Chicago and Carolina where he saw action in eight games, registering 13 tackles with the Panthers.
Strait started at cornerback all four years at Oklahoma. He is a two-time All-American, a recipient of the 2003 Bronko Nagurski Trophy and the 2003 Jim Thorpe Award his senior season. His five fumble recoveries in a season still stands as a team record.
Born: August 27, 1980 - Austin, TX
Height: 5'11 Weight: 190
Yrs Esks: 1st
Yrs CFL: 1st
For more information on the Edmonton Eskimos visit our website at www.esks.com.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from March 4, 2008
- Riders Sign Linebacker - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Esks Add Strait To Secondary - Edmonton Eskimos
- Orange Helmet Awards Deliver $60,000 In Donations - B.C. Lions
- Woodcock Joins Cats Receiving Corps - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.