Errors Doom Miracle In Loss To St. Lucie
FORT MYERS, Fla. - Two Miracle errors loomed large in an 9-0 loss to the St. Lucie Mets on Saturday night at Hammond Stadium.
In the fourth inning, with the Mets leading 1-0 and a runner at first, Quinn Brodey hit a comebacker to the mound. Melvi Acosta fielded but bounced the throw to second, allowing everyone to reach. Jacob Zanon followed with an RBI double and later in the inning, Manny Rodriguez knocked in two more runs with a double.
Leading 4-0 in the fifth, the Mets again took advantage of a Miracle miscue. Two batters after a Michael Helman fielding error, Brodey drilled a three-run home run over the glove of a leaping Trevor Larnach in right to give St. Lucie a 7-0 advantage.
The Mets added two more runs in the ninth.
Acosta (2-1) surrendered seven runs (three earned) in 4.2 innings of work. The right-hander, in a spot start for the Miracle, walked one and struck out four.
Despite drawing seven walks, the Miracle finished 0-for-6 with runners in scoring position. They left nine runners on base.
The Miracle will look to avoid the sweep on Sunday afternoon in Fort Myers. First pitch is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from May 18, 2019
- Tarpons Blow Late Lead, Lose Sixth Straight - Tampa Tarpons
- Jasseel No-Hits Jupiter, 12-0 - Florida Fire Frogs
- Rally in Ninth Helps 'Tugas Topple Tarpons in Extras, 7-6 - Daytona Tortugas
- Ortiz's Big Night Paces Victory over Stone Crabs - Clearwater Threshers
- Chester Homers in 7-4 Loss to Clearwater - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Mets Crush Miracle 9-0 - St. Lucie Mets
- Errors Doom Miracle In Loss To St. Lucie - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Dunedin Looks to Steal a Road Win in Lakeland - Dunedin Blue Jays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Myers Mighty Mussels Stories
- Mussels to Offer Ballpark Food To-Go
- Aaron Sutton Named First Mussels Manager
- Mighty Mussels to Host Ballpark Festival of Beers on January 25
- 'Mighty Mussels' Baseball Team to Debut in Fort Myers
- Zawyer Sports Announces New President, Management Team to Oversee Fort Myers Miracle