Energy Keep Hawks at Bay in Thriller
Des Moines, Iowa - Wes Washpun hit two clutch shots down the stretch as the Iowa Energy (12-37) held off the Erie BayHawks (13-36) 116-111 Thursday Night at Wells Fargo Arena.
Tonight marked the Energy's first home win since Feb. 9, when they defeated the Oklahoma City Blue 111-107.
Tied at 107 with 2:11 remaining, Wes Washpun nailed a three-pointer to give Iowa a three-point lead. Two minutes later, Washpun nailed a tightly contested jumper from the left elbow to seal the Energy win.
The UNI alum finished with 16 points, five rebounds and three assists in 32 minutes of action.
JaKarr Sampson continued his recent tear, finishing with a team-high 23 points and 11 rebounds. It was the forwards' third double-double of the season and first since Nov. 27.
As a team the Energy shot 52.5 percent from the field, including 41.4 percent from three, both above their season average.
Terry Whisnant gave the team a spark off the bench, finishing with 15 points on 5-of-10 shooting from the floor. All five of his made baskets came from deep.
Quinton Chievous scored a season-high 19 points to go along with seven rebounds and a team-high six assists.
All five Energy starters finished the night in double figures.
Kalin Lucas returned to Des Moines with the performance of his career, posting 42 points, six rebounds and six assists for the BayHawks. The 42 points scored set a new career-high for the Spartan.
The Iowa Energy finish the 2016-17 regular season at home against the Rio Grande Valley Vipers Saturday at 7:00 p.m.
To purchase tickets, visit IowaNBA.com, call 515-564-8550 or visit the Wells Fargo Arena ticket office.
For more information, follow the Energy on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram @iowaenergy or visit us online at IowaNBA.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 31, 2017
- Red Claws Clinch 3rd Straight Atlantic Division Title - Maine Red Claws
- Energy Keep Hawks at Bay in Thriller - Iowa Wolves
- Taylor Scores 30 as Vipers Defeat Legends - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Vipers Strike in Second Half - Texas Legends
- Bulls Clipped by Raptors 905 on the Road - Windy City Bulls
- Beasley Shines in Skyforce Loss to Oklahoma City - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Westchester Knicks Run out of Gas in Loss to Grand Rapids Drive - Westchester Knicks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Iowa Wolves Stories
- Timberwolves Sign C.J. Williams to Two-Way Contract
- Iowa Wolves Announce Five-Year Lease Extension with Polk County and Spectra Venue Management
- Timberwolves Sign Jared Terrell to Two-Way Contract
- Priority Home Dates for 2018-19 Season Announced to Commemorate Iowa Wolves' First Birthday
- Justin Patton Injury Update