Energy FC Trio Called up to National Teams
OKLAHOMA CITY - Energy FC goalkeeper Cody Laurendi, forward Cordell Cato and defender Mekeil Williams have been called up to their respective national teams for fixtures this week, General Manager Jason Hawkins announced today.
Laurendi will depart for Puerto Rico for their Concacaf Nation's League match at home against Grenada Sunday, March 24. He will miss Energy FC's upcoming USL Championship match away to Sacramento Republic FC that is taking place the same day. This will be Laurendi's fifth appearance with the Puerto Rico national team after making his debut in 2017 against Indonesia.
Cato and Williams are meeting up with the Soca Warriors to take on Wales in a friendly match Wednesday, March 20 at the Racecourse Ground in Wrexham, north Wales. This will be Cato's 28th and Williams' 23rd appearance with the Trinidad and Tobago national team, respectively.
Energy FC have had seven players earn international call-ups while with the club. In addition to Laurendi, Cato and Williams, Josh Garcia (Puerto Rico), Atiba Harris (Saint Kitts & Nevis), Jaime Siaj (Jordan) and Coy Craft (U.S. U-20 team) have all received the honor.
Energy FC have started the 2019 USL Championship with maximum points after defeating El Paso Locomotive FC and Las Vegas Lights FC and are in first place in the Western Conference. Their next match will be against Sacramento Republic FC at 4:00 p.m. CST Sunday, March 24 at Papa Murphy's Park in Sacramento, Calif.
About Energy FC Energy FC are a part of the USL Championship, which is one of the largest professional soccer organizations in North America. Energy FC were founded in 2013 and played their inaugural season in 2014. Energy FC make their home at Oklahoma City's historic Taft Stadium and are playing their sixth season in 2019.
Images from this story
OKC Energy FC forward Cordell Cato
OKC Energy FC defender Mekeil Williams
OKC Energy FC goalkeeper Cody Laurendi
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from March 19, 2019
- Supporters Trust Makes Sizable Donation to Soccer for the Nations - Nashville SC
- STLFC Announces Partnership with Llywelyn's Pub - Saint Louis FC
- Independence Trio Selected for International Duty - Charlotte Independence
- U-17 World Cup Winner, Manchester City Product Signs with Independence - Charlotte Independence
- Memphis 901 FC Forward Elliot Collier Earns USL Team of the Week Honors - Memphis 901 FC
- Phoenix Rising Midfielder Solomon Asante Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Phoenix Rising FC
- Midfielder Arun Basuljevic Selected to USL Championship Team of the Week - Fresno FC
- Reno's Brown Earns Championship Player of the Week - Reno 1868 FC
- Meilleur-Giguere Narrowly Misses out on Championship Team of the Week Nod - Ottawa Fury FC
- Reno's Brown Earns Championship Player of the Week - USL
- Indy Eleven Midfielder Kenney Walker Named to USL Championship Team of the Week for Week 2 - Indy Eleven
- Republic FC Launch First-Ever Official Mobile App - Sacramento Republic FC
- Jamaica Calls up Reno 1868 FC Forward Brian Brown - Reno 1868 FC
- Independence Dedicate Saturday's Game to Leonel - Charlotte Independence
- Rowdies & Norwich City Announce Yellow & Green Dream - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Energy FC Trio Called up to National Teams - OKC Energy FC
- The United Soccer League and Sportradar Announce Official U.S. Partnership - USL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent OKC Energy FC Stories
- 5 Energy FC Players Selected to Provisional Gold Cup Rosters
- Energy FC & Opolis Clothing Celebrating Partnership Sunday in Midtown
- Energy FC at Austin Bold FC Tomorrow Night
- Release -- Energy FC Sign MLS Veteran, Jamaica International Je-Vaughn Watson
- Energy FC to Host 2nd Round of US Open Cup