Midfielder Arun Basuljevic Selected to USL Championship Team of the Week
FRESNO, Calif. - Fresno FC midfielder Arun Basuljevic was named to the USL Championship's Team of the Week for his performance against Rio Grande Valley FC Toros in Week 2. Basuljevic scored both goals in Los Zorros 2-0 win at RGV FC over the weekend.
It was the first career brace for Basuljevic in his USL Championship career and his first goals since joining Fresno FC in the 2019 preseason. He also completed 91 percent of his passes against the Toros to help Los Zorros to their first win of the season.
It is the second week in a row that a Zorro has been selected to the USL Championship Team of the Week with left back Alex Cooper earning the nod in Week 1.
Fresno FC will make its home debut in the 2019 USL Championship season this Saturday against Reno 1868 FC at Chukchansi Park. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. PT. Tickets for the home opener, and for the entire season are available now at the stadium box office or at FresnoFC.com. Fans are advised to purchase their tickets in advance and arrive at the stadium early on game day as heavy traffic is expected with FresYes Fest also taking place downtown at Tioga-Sequoia Brewing Company.
USL Championship Team of the Week
GK - David Ochoa, Real Monarchs SLC: Ochoa posted a nine-save shutout to earn the Monarchs a point in a 0-0 draw with El Paso Locomotive FC despite the hosts being down to 10 men for almost an hour.
D - Luca Lobo, Tulsa Roughnecks FC: Making his professional debut, Lobo struck twice in four minutes as part of the Roughnecks' run of five unanswered goals that earned the side its first road win since September 2017.
D - Shawn Barry, Tampa Bay Rowdies: Barry recorded a goal and assist while contributing to the Rowdies' shutout defensively in a 2-0 win against Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC.
D - Paris Gee, Saint Louis FC: Gee played a key role in locking down Nashville SC's attack, recording three tackles and two clearances as STLFC limited the hosts to one shot on goal in their 1-0 win.
M - Santi Moar, New Mexico United: Moar scored a pair of spectacular solo efforts as New Mexico came close to spoiling Phoenix Rising FC's home opener in a 3-3 draw at Casino Arizona Field.
M - Arun Basuljevic, Fresno FC: Basuljevic scored twice to lead the Foxes to a 2-0 victory on the road against Rio Grande Valley FC for their first win of 2019.
M - Solomon Asante, Phoenix Rising FC: Asante converted twice from the penalty spot and recorded five key passes, while also completing 27 of 33 passes overall in Rising FC's 3-3 draw with New Mexico.
M - Kenney Walker, Indy Eleven: Walker notched a pair of assists and four key passes overall to help Indy claim its first victory of the season on the road against the Charlotte Independence.
F - Marvin Loria, Portland Timbers 2: Loria struck twice and recorded two key passes as T2 earned an impressive road victory against San Antonio FC.
F - Brian Brown, Reno 1868 FC: Brown notched both goals as 1868 FC rallied in the second half to take a 2-1 victory against Austin Bold FC for its first win of the season.
F - Augustine Williams, LA Galaxy II: Williams scored his first two goals for Los Dos as it romped to a 3-0 victory on the road against Tacoma Defiance.
Bench: Carlos Coronel (BST), Thomas Meilleur-Giguere (OTT), Zeiko Lewis (CHS), Griffin Yow (LDN), Omar Gordon (OKC), Elliot Collier (MEM), Marios Lomis (NC)
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from March 19, 2019
- Supporters Trust Makes Sizable Donation to Soccer for the Nations - Nashville SC
- STLFC Announces Partnership with Llywelyn's Pub - Saint Louis FC
- Independence Trio Selected for International Duty - Charlotte Independence
- U-17 World Cup Winner, Manchester City Product Signs with Independence - Charlotte Independence
- Memphis 901 FC Forward Elliot Collier Earns USL Team of the Week Honors - Memphis 901 FC
- Phoenix Rising Midfielder Solomon Asante Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Phoenix Rising FC
- Midfielder Arun Basuljevic Selected to USL Championship Team of the Week - Fresno FC
- Reno's Brown Earns Championship Player of the Week - Reno 1868 FC
- Meilleur-Giguere Narrowly Misses out on Championship Team of the Week Nod - Ottawa Fury FC
- Reno's Brown Earns Championship Player of the Week - USL
- Indy Eleven Midfielder Kenney Walker Named to USL Championship Team of the Week for Week 2 - Indy Eleven
- Republic FC Launch First-Ever Official Mobile App - Sacramento Republic FC
- Jamaica Calls up Reno 1868 FC Forward Brian Brown - Reno 1868 FC
- Independence Dedicate Saturday's Game to Leonel - Charlotte Independence
- Rowdies & Norwich City Announce Yellow & Green Dream - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Energy FC Trio Called up to National Teams - OKC Energy FC
- The United Soccer League and Sportradar Announce Official U.S. Partnership - USL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno FC Stories
- Zorros Draw 2-2 with La Galaxy II on Stand up 2 Cancer Night
- Fresno FC vs. LA Galaxy II Preview
- Fresno FL Issues Statement in Response to Comments Made by City of Fresno Mayor Lee Brand and Councilmember Miguel Arias
- Fresno FC Drops Road Match at El Paso
- Zorros Fall 2-1 at San Antonio