Energy and Coach Kevin Young Agree to New Direction; Bruce Wilson Named Interim Head Coach
DES MOINES, IA (Jan. 20, 2013) - The Iowa Energy and Head Coach Kevin Young have mutually agreed to a new direction effective immediately. Young was in his second season with the Energy, and compiled a 31-42 record at the helm of the franchise.
"Things did not go the way I would have hoped this season. I wish the best for the players, coaches, and organization moving forward and thank them for giving me an opportunity," said Young.
"We appreciate the work Kevin put in for the franchise. He has a bright future ahead of him as a professional basketball coach. Unfortunately, our on-court record wasn't in line with the expectations of the organization," said Energy General Manager Chris Makris.
"Kevin did everything we asked of him. The team was struggling and we needed to make a change. There are a number of factors that contributed to that. At the end of the day, our ownership group felt that a change was necessary to get things back on track. Kevin Young is a very good basketball coach, and his future won't be tarnished by our mutual decision to move in another direction," said Energy Managing Owner Jerry Crawford.
Assistant Coach Bruce Wilson has been promoted to Interim Head Coach and will serve as such through February 1st. This is Wilson's third season on the Energy bench. Prior to his stint with the Energy, Wilson spent 25 years as the head coach at Simpson College. He also was an assistant at Gonzaga University where he coached John Stockton.
The Energy take to the court again this week for two home games. Tuesday, January 22nd is 2-for-1 Tuesday vs. the Tulsa 66ers, featuring $10 sideline tickets. And Friday, January 25th vs. the Canton Charge is $1 Hot Dog Night, featuring ACRODUNK at halftime, presented by MidAmerican Energy. Both games tip at 7 PM. For more information, visit IowaNBA.com or contact the Iowa Energy at (515) 564-8550.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 21, 2013
- Lamb and Orton Assigned to Tulsa 66ers - Tulsa 66ers
- Oklahoma City Thunder Re-Assigns Lamb and Orton to NBA D-League Affiliate Tulsa 66ers - G League
- Red Claws Down Rival Armor 106-92 in MLK, Jr. Day Contest - Maine Red Claws
- Sioux Falls' Demetris Nichols Named NBA Development League Performer of the Week - G League
- Cavaliers Assign Kevin Jones to Charge - Canton Charge
- Cleveland Cavaliers Re-Assign Kevin Jones to NBA D-League Affiliate Canton Charge - G League
- Energy and Coach Kevin Young Agree to New Direction; Bruce Wilson Named Interim Head Coach - Iowa Wolves
- Golden State Warriors Recall Jeremy Tyler from Santa Cruz - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Santa Cruz Warriors Win Nail-Biter against Erie - Santa Cruz Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.