Edwin Espinal's Walk-Off Grand Slam Completes Patriots Comeback Win
Bridgewater, NJ - Edwin Espinal's walk-off grand slam in the bottom of the ninth inning led the Somerset Patriots (12-3) to a come-from-behind 5-4 win over the High Point Rockers (9-8) at TD Bank Ballpark on Tuesday night.
Trailing 4-0 in the bottom of the ninth inning, Michael Ohlman drew a bases loaded walk for the first run before Espinal's (1) no doubter was launched to deep left field for the game-winner.
"I was looking for that pitch. He threw it to me and I was ready for it and killed it," said Espinal. "It's only my second game here, but the guys have been making me feel comfortable in the clubhouse. A moment like that makes you feel great."
The Rockers got the scoring started early with a Hector Gomez home run (1) in the top of the first inning.
Breland Almadova's RBI double in the top of the fifth inning put High Point up 2-0.
The Rockers tacked on two more runs in the top of the seventh inning on a Tyler Ladendorf RBI double and a Almadova triple for a 4-0 advantage.
Jake Joyce (1-1) picked up the win with a scoreless inning pitched. Trevor Frank (0-1) blew the save and took the loss with two earned runs on a hit without recording an out.
The 2019 Somerset Patriots Season presented by Ford will continue at home with a 6:35 pm game on Wednesday, May 15th against the High Point Rockers. The game features Teachers Appreciation Night presented by NJEA. For tickets, stop by the box office located at TD Bank Ballpark, call (908) 252-0700, or visit www.somersetpatriots.com.
Images from this story
Edwin Espinal trots home after his walk-off grand slam for the Somerset Patriots
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from May 14, 2019
- Edwin Espinal's Walk-Off Grand Slam Completes Patriots Comeback Win - Somerset Patriots
- Morin Collects Four Hits as 'Stormers Win - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Barnstormers Mount Early Lead And Hang On For The Victory - New Britain Bees
- Downs Dazzles as Ducks Rally Past Blue Crabs - Long Island Ducks
- Blue Crabs Drop Game Two against Long Island - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Revs Suffer Stunning Defeat in Sugar Land - York Revolution
- Bees Add Lefthander - New Britain Bees
- Atkins, Revs Come out Firing to Win Opener in Sugar Land - York Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.