Barnstormers Mount Early Lead And Hang On For The Victory
(New Britain, CT) - The Lancaster Barnstormers (6-10) defeated the New Britain Bees (6-9) 6-4 at New Britain Stadium on Tuesday evening in the opener of a three-game midweek series in the Constitution State.
New Britain Starting Pitcher Rainy Lara (1-1) was tagged with the loss after surrendering five runs (three earned runs) on seven hits in four and two-thirds innings pitched, walking one and striking out four. Lancaster starting pitcher Buddy Baumann (2-0) registered the win, allowing just one run on six hits across six innings of work, striking out seven. Cody Eppley closed the door in the bottom half of the ninth inning for his team-leading fourth save in as many tries.
Trailing 3-0 in the home half of the fourth frame, the Bees scored their first run of the night when Ozzie Martinez plated Jared James by way of a sacrifice fly after James tripled to the wall in right centerfield with one man down, his first three-base hit in a Hardware City uniform. Down 6-1 in the bottom of the seventh, New Britain sent eight men to the plate versus the Lancaster bullpen, collecting three runs on four hits to get to within 6-4, highlighted by an RBI base knock off the bat of Alexi Amarista that scored Martinez who began the rally with a leadoff base hit, and a two-out, two run single by Alejandro De Aza that allowed Logan Moore and Darren Ford to cross the plate after Moore was hit by a pitch and Ford had a single of his own. The home team would not get any closer as the bullpen trio of Alejandro Chacin, Bryan Harper, and Eppley finished off the ballgame with three innings of scoreless baseball on two hits allowed and four strikeouts. De Aza led the way for New Britain with three hits, his fourth multi-hit game of the campaign and first of the three hit variety. Photo provided courtesy of Anthony Cilenti.
The Bees continue their series with the Lancaster Barnstormers at New Britain Stadium on Wednesday, May 15th. First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 P.M. It will be the first Kids Meal Deal Wednesday of the season! Bring the kids to the ballpark where they can enjoy the game and a classic Ball Park Frank! Every Wednesday, kids 12 and under can enjoy a hot dog, bag of chips, and a soda or water for just FOUR DOLLARS!
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from May 14, 2019
- Edwin Espinal's Walk-Off Grand Slam Completes Patriots Comeback Win - Somerset Patriots
- Morin Collects Four Hits as 'Stormers Win - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Barnstormers Mount Early Lead And Hang On For The Victory - New Britain Bees
- Downs Dazzles as Ducks Rally Past Blue Crabs - Long Island Ducks
- Blue Crabs Drop Game Two against Long Island - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Revs Suffer Stunning Defeat in Sugar Land - York Revolution
- Bees Add Lefthander - New Britain Bees
- Atkins, Revs Come out Firing to Win Opener in Sugar Land - York Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Britain Bees Stories
- Bees Close Out Winning Campaign With Convincing Triumph Over Patriots
- Patriots Win Knocks Bees Out Of The Playoff Picture
- Historic Evening In The Garden State Keeps Bees Playoff Hopes Alive
- Bees Keep Rockers Champagne On Ice For At Least One More Night
- Rockers Win Deals Bees Crushing Blow To Playoff Hopes