Earthquakes Weekly Update: November 16, 2021
San Jose Earthquakes midfielder Eduardo 'Chofis' Lopez is one of three finalists for the 2021 Major League Soccer Newcomer of the Year. Chofis scored a team-high 12 goals, including three game-winning goals, and added four assists for San Jose during his debut season in MLS.
Two Quakes players, Cade Cowell and Casey Walls, are currently with the U.S. U-20 National Team for Revelations Cup 2021. Both players started in the United States' 4-0 defeat to Brazil last Thursday, and Walls played the second half of Saturday's 1-1 draw with Colombia. Cowell started tonight's match vs. Mexico which is currently underway.
Last Tuesday, the Earthquakes hosted a farewell press conference for Chris Wondolowski following his retirement announcement on Nov. 7. He announced his decision to retire following the Quakes' season finale vs. FC Dallas, in which he scored the 171st goal of his Major League Soccer career. The Danville, Calif. native departs after 17 seasons in MLS, including 14 seasons with San Jose, and owns nearly every scoring record in league history.
Chofis Named Finalist for MLS Newcomer of the Year
Chofis' 12 goals are the most by a Quakes player in his first season with the club since Ariel Graziani in 2002 (14). Among all newcomers in MLS, Chofis ranks second in goals (12), first in non-penalty kick goals (11), and tied for first in goals + assists (16). Chofis was named to the MLS Team of the Week on three occasions (Weeks 25-27), was the MLS Player of the Week in Week 26 and was selected as the MLS Player of the Month for September.
Chris Wondolowski announces retirement after 17 seasons
Wondolowski, 38, finishes his illustrious career with 171 regular season goals, 26 more than any other player in MLS history (Landon Donovan - 145). He also holds the MLS records for combined regular season and playoff goals (173), goals for one club (167), game-winning goals (46), and goals in 1-0 victories (14), while ranking second in multi-goal games (25) and tied for second in hat-tricks (5).
QUAKES ON LOAN
Eric Calvillo at Orange County SC
Orange County SC defeated the Oakland Roots 6-5 on penalty kicks after a scoreless draw in the USL Championship Western Conference Semifinals on Saturday. Calvillo started and played 90 minutes before being subbed out in stoppage time.
Orange County will now prepare to host San Antonio FC in the Western Conference Final at Championship Soccer Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 20. The match will be streamed nationally on ESPN+ at 7 p.m.
The Quakes Academy Boys' U-13 and U-14 squads had back-to-back matches on Saturday and Sunday. The U-13s extended their undefeated streak with another clean sheet after defeating Atletico Santa Rosa 4-0 and FC Bay Area 4-0. The U-14s outscored Atletico Santa Rosa 8-0 and defeated FC Bay Area 2-0.
The Quakes' U-13s, U-14s, U-15s and U-17s will now prepare to take on Sacramento Republic FC on Saturday Nov. 20. The U-15s will resume action looking to extend their five-game winning streak against Sacramento.
Details on the Quakes Academy's season schedule and results can be found here . The Quakes Academy can also be followed on their social media channels on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 16, 2021
- Austin FC Head Coach Josh Wolff Named a Finalist for National Soccer Hall of Fame Class of 2022 - Austin FC
- Pablo Mastroeni Named to Final Ballot for the National Soccer Hall of Fame Class of 2022 - Colorado Rapids
- National Soccer Hall of Fame Announces Final Ballots for Election to 2022 Class - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: November 16, 2021 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Shalrie Joseph and Clint Dempsey Named Finalists for National Soccer Hall of Fame Class of 2022 - New England Revolution
- CSO and Sporting Director Henderson Emphasizes Consistency, Culture and Improved Processes Ahead of Busy Offseason - Inter Miami CF
- Ground Broken on Rebuild Project at Capitolo Playground Fields - Philadelphia Union
- Members to Vote for Club's Individual Player Awards - Club de Foot Montreal
- Keys to the Match: Make Some Noise - New York City FC
- Help Fight Hunger in Colorado by Attending the Thanksgiving Day Playoff Match - Colorado Rapids
- The Pitch: 18-Year-Old MLS Academy Product Has U.S. Primed for Jamaica - MLS
- 4ATX Foundation, Boingo Announce Start of Mini-Pitch Installation in Austin's Montopolis Neighborhood - Austin FC
- FC Cincinnati Academy Recap: November 13-14 - FC Cincinnati
- New York Red Bulls - Philadelphia Union Match Picked up Regionally by MSG Networks - New York Red Bulls
- Atlanta United's Rob Valentino Signs Multiyear Contract as Assistant Coach - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC to Celebrate Annual Season of Giving Presented by Target with a Full Month of Community Service - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Sign 16-Year-Old Midfielder Niko Tsakiris to Homegrown Contract
- Earthquakes Sign Goalkeeper JT Marcinkowski to New Contract
- Earthquakes Select Stanford Forward Ousseni Bouda and Clemson Defender Oskar Agren in First Round of 2022 MLS SuperDraft
- MLS SuperDraft 2022 Takes Place Today
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: January 10, 2022