Austin FC Head Coach Josh Wolff Named a Finalist for National Soccer Hall of Fame Class of 2022
Austin, TEXAS - The National Soccer Hall of Fame at Toyota Stadium released on Tuesday the names of the finalists for election to the Class of 2022, with Austin FC Head Coach Josh Wolff included as 1 of 20 names on the Player ballot.
Signed as Austin FC's first-ever Head Coach in November 2019, Wolff represented the United States at both the 2002 and 2006 FIFA World Cups. He scored nine (9) goals in 52 appearances during his international career, including one (1) against Mexico in February 2001 which helped begin the USMNT's "Dos a Cero" legend. Wolff played 14 seasons with three (3) clubs in Major League Soccer in addition to one (1) season in Germany with 1860 Munich.
In total, Wolff made 367 appearances for his club sides, scoring 106 goals and earning MLS All Star selections in 2002 and 2006. He won the 1998 MLS Cup with Chicago Fire FC, and won the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup in 1998, 2000 and 2004.
As a coach, Wolff previously served on the staff of current USMNT Head Coach Gregg Berhalter for five (5) seasons while with the Columbus Crew prior to re-joining Berhalter as an assistant coach on the USMNT staff, where he played a role in the team's run to the final of the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup.
The Hall of Fame Selection Committees will meet over the next several weeks and then vote to select a maximum of six new members; as many as three Players can be selected, along with two finalists from the Veteran ballot and one from the Builder ballot.
The 2022 Hall of Fame ceremony is scheduled for Saturday, May 21.
Player Ballot Finalists
- David Beckham
- Shannon Boxx
- Lori Chalupny
- Brian Ching
- Clint Dempsey
- Maurice Edu
- Thierry Henry
- Lauren Cheney Holiday
- Eddie Johnson
- Shalrie Joseph
- Robbie Keane
- Pablo Mastroeni
- Josh McKinney
- Heather Mitts
- Oguchi Onyewu
- Carlos Ruiz
- Hope Solo
- Aly Wagner
- Cat Reddick Whitehill
- Josh Wolff
Austin FC Sporting Director Claudio Reyna was inducted to the National Soccer Hall of Fame in 2012.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 16, 2021
- Austin FC Head Coach Josh Wolff Named a Finalist for National Soccer Hall of Fame Class of 2022 - Austin FC
- Pablo Mastroeni Named to Final Ballot for the National Soccer Hall of Fame Class of 2022 - Colorado Rapids
- National Soccer Hall of Fame Announces Final Ballots for Election to 2022 Class - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: November 16, 2021 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Shalrie Joseph and Clint Dempsey Named Finalists for National Soccer Hall of Fame Class of 2022 - New England Revolution
- CSO and Sporting Director Henderson Emphasizes Consistency, Culture and Improved Processes Ahead of Busy Offseason - Inter Miami CF
- Ground Broken on Rebuild Project at Capitolo Playground Fields - Philadelphia Union
- Members to Vote for Club's Individual Player Awards - Club de Foot Montreal
- Keys to the Match: Make Some Noise - New York City FC
- Help Fight Hunger in Colorado by Attending the Thanksgiving Day Playoff Match - Colorado Rapids
- The Pitch: 18-Year-Old MLS Academy Product Has U.S. Primed for Jamaica - MLS
- 4ATX Foundation, Boingo Announce Start of Mini-Pitch Installation in Austin's Montopolis Neighborhood - Austin FC
- FC Cincinnati Academy Recap: November 13-14 - FC Cincinnati
- New York Red Bulls - Philadelphia Union Match Picked up Regionally by MSG Networks - New York Red Bulls
- Atlanta United's Rob Valentino Signs Multiyear Contract as Assistant Coach - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC to Celebrate Annual Season of Giving Presented by Target with a Full Month of Community Service - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin FC Stories
- Austin FC Announces Time Change for May 29 Away Match against LA Galaxy
- Sebastián Driussi Named to MLS Team of the Week
- Djitté Scores Late as Austin FC Comes Back to Earn Draw vs. Orlando City SC
- Stuver, Gabrielsen, Driussi, Josh Wolff Earn MLS Team of the Week Honors
- Austin FC Beats LAFC 2-1 to Reclaim Top Spot in MLS Standings