Earthquakes Sign Defender Nick Garcia to Multi-Year Contract
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- The San Jose Earthquakes announced today that the team has signed defender Nick Garcia to a new multi-year contract. Per league and team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.
"We had one of the top defenses in the league in 2008 and Nick was a big part of that success," said General Manager of Soccer Operations John Doyle. "We are looking forward to having him back in an Earthquakes uniform in 2009."
Garcia, a Texas native, played a key role for the Earthquakes' back line in 2008, helping them finish fourth in the league in goals allowed with 38 goals against on the season. The nine-year MLS veteran started 24 games and helped the Quakes post nine shutouts last season. The Quakes finished 2008 as the top expansion team since 1998 with eight wins and 33 points. Garcia also tied his career high with two assists.
"My family and I are happy to come back to San Jose and I am looking forward to an even better season for the team this year," said Garcia. "We had some good moments in the second half of last year, but no one here is content with where we finished in the standings. We need to start strong and play consistently both at home and on the road and if we do, we will have a chance to contend this season."
Prior to playing with the Quakes, Garcia had a successful eight-year stint with the Kansas City Wizards, helping them make six playoff appearances in his eight seasons. Garcia has been one of the most durable players in MLS during his career, playing at least 24 matches every season since his rookie year in 2000. From 2000-2003, he did not miss a game due to injury and four times he has played 29 games or more in a season. As a rookie in 2000, he played in all 32 games and started every playoff game to help the Wizards capture their only MLS Cup. He also helped the Wizards win the U.S. Open Cup in 2004. He became the 100th player to reach his 100th career MLS start in 2003, and was also the youngest player in league history to accomplish that milestone.
Transaction: San Jose Earthquakes (MLS) - Earthquakes sign D Nick Garcia to a multi-year contract.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 21, 2009
- Chivas USA Update: Preseason camp opens - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Galaxy Make Four Selections at SuperDraft - LA Galaxy
- Sounders FC Signs Defender Taylor Graham - Seattle Sounders FC
- D.C. United Re-Signs Forward Francis Doe - D.C. United
- D.C. United Announces Preseason Schedule - D.C. United
- Earthquakes Sign Defender Nick Garcia to Multi-Year Contract - San Jose Earthquakes
- Red Bull New York Signs Defender Mike Petke - New York Red Bulls
- Bannister Mall Demolition Commences - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Sign Goalkeeper Matt Bersano to New Contract
- Earthquakes Sign Argentine Defender Luciano Abecasis
- Earthquakes Sign 21-Year-Old Forward Benji Kikanovic
- Earthquakes Acquire Argentine Midfielder Eric Remedi in Trade with Atlanta United FC
- Chivas vs. Club Leon Match Rescheduled for October 9