Earthquakes Sign Defender Casey Walls as Homegrown Player
SAN JOSE, Calif. - The San Jose Earthquakes announced today that the club has signed 16-year-old center back Casey Walls to a Homegrown Player contract. Walls becomes the seventh product of the Quakes Academy to sign with the first team, and sixth since December of 2016.
Click here to download photos and video of Casey Walls
"Casey is a talented central defender that stood out at a young age in our academy for his technical skills and maturity," said Earthquakes general manager Jesse Fioranelli. "As he has progressed in the U.S. Youth National Team system, we also wanted to provide a support system to allow him to develop in our first team environment. Matias [Almeyda] has made an effort to include academy players in training sessions on a weekly basis throughout the year and Casey has proven that he is capable of taking on the challenge."
Walls has been a standout for the Quakes Academy since joining from Marin FC in 2017, competing at the U-15, U-17 and U-19 levels. While still age-eligible for the U-17s, Walls has been playing primarily for the Quakes' U-19 squad this year.
Walls is a regular with the U.S. Youth National Team system, having been called to the U-14s, U-15s and U-16s in the past. His most recent international call-up was in September for a U-16 Talent Identification Camp.
The native of London, England is currently rated by Top Drawer Soccer as the nation's fourth-best defender for the Class of 2021 and the No. 1 overall player in the Northern California and Hawaii region.
Transaction: San Jose Earthquakes (MLS) - Earthquakes sign 16-year-old D Casey Walls to a Homegrown Player contract.
Weight: 173 lbs.
Born: Jan. 10, 2003 in London, England
Preferred Foot: Left
Hometown: Mill Valley, Calif.
Last Club: Quakes Academy U-19
Roster Designation: Homegrown, Domestic
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 5, 2019
- LAFC Foundation Partners with the American Heart Association's 'Teaching Gardens' Nutrition Program - Los Angeles FC
- City of Tukwila Declares November 10 as "Seattle Sounders FC Spirit Day" - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes Sign Defender Casey Walls as Homegrown Player - San Jose Earthquakes
- Providence Park Receives Leed Gold Certification - Portland Timbers
- Chicago Fire Midfielder Przemyslaw Frankowski Named to Poland National Team for UEFA European Championship Qualifying Matches - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: September 29, 2020
- Quakes score twice late to earn first win over LAFC
- Earthquakes Provide 74-Day Impact Report for Pledge 74
- Earthquakes Ready for Home Cooking after Brutal Loss
- CEFCU Movie Night Series Returns to Earthquakes Stadium