City of Tukwila Declares November 10 as "Seattle Sounders FC Spirit Day"
TUKWILA, WASH. - As Seattle Sounders FC prepares to face Toronto FC in the 2019 MLS Cup Final this Sunday, the Rave Green are finding support from across the Puget Sound region. Yesterday evening, at the City of Tukwila's regularly scheduled City Council meeting, the Council shared a proclamation from Mayor Allan Ekberg declaring Sunday, November 10, 2019 as Seattle Sounders FC Spirit Day in Tukwila. General Manager and President of Soccer Garth Lagerwey and General Counsel Maya Mendoza-Exstrom were on hand to receive the official decree.
Sounders FC General Manager and President of Soccer Garth Lagerwey (left) and General Counsel Maya Mendoza-Exstrom (right) receive the proclamation from Tukwila City Councilmember Kate Kruller (center).
The proclamation was issued as a show of support from the City of Tukwila and its residents for Sounders FC, the city's hometown club. Starfire Sports, the team's official training facility, is located in Tukwila and the Rave Green have spent their entire MLS existence, as well parts of their USL days, at Starfire.
"The community of Tukwila strongly supports our hometown team, Seattle Sounders FC, and wishes them success in bringing home the team's second MLS Cup to Washington State," Ekberg's proclamation reads in part, as the Mayor of Tukwila continued on to encourage all community members to wear Sounders FC attire and colors on November 10 as they cheer the team to victory.
2019 marks the third time in four seasons that Sounders FC has appeared in Major League Soccer's championship match, and the first time the Rave Green have played the contest on their home turf at CenturyLink Field. The club previously defeated Toronto FC at BMO Field in 2016 for its first-ever MLS Cup, before returning and falling to the Reds on the road in 2017.
Sounders FC announced last week that the club had sold out CenturyLink Field, with a crowd in excess of 69,000 expected on Sunday afternoon. The match is set to broadcast on ABC and Univision in a 12:00 p.m. PT kickoff.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 5, 2019
- LAFC Foundation Partners with the American Heart Association's 'Teaching Gardens' Nutrition Program - Los Angeles FC
- City of Tukwila Declares November 10 as "Seattle Sounders FC Spirit Day" - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes Sign Defender Casey Walls as Homegrown Player - San Jose Earthquakes
- Providence Park Receives Leed Gold Certification - Portland Timbers
- Chicago Fire Midfielder Przemyslaw Frankowski Named to Poland National Team for UEFA European Championship Qualifying Matches - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Sounders FC Becomes Founding Partner of Seattle Chapter of Women in Sports and Events
- Sounders FC Signs Defender Shane O'Neill
- Sounders FC Selects Seattle University Midfielder Julian Avila-Good in Third Round of 2020 MLS SuperDraft
- Sounders FC Selects Two Players on First Day of 2020 MLS SuperDraft Presented by Adidas
- Sounders FC Holds Two Second Round Picks in Thursday's 2020 MLS SuperDraft