Earthquakes Midfielder Chofis Named MLS Player of the Week
SAN JOSE, Calif. - San Jose Earthquakes midfielder Eduardo 'Chofis' Lopez has been named Major League Soccer's Player of the Week for Week 26 after scoring two goals, including the game-winner, during Saturday night's 4-3 victory over Austin FC. Chofis was also selected to Major League Soccer's Team of the Week.
Click here to download highlights and photos from Saturday's match
With the team trailing 3-2, Chofis scored two goals in a five-minute span during the second half to lift San Jose to the come-from-behind victory. He now has a team-high 10 goals this season, the most by a Quakes player in his first season with the club since Ariel Graziani in 2002 (14).
In addition to his Player of the Week performance in Week 26, Chofis was also one of four finalists for the honor in Week 25 after scoring a hat-trick last Wednesday. He became the first Quakes player to score 5+ goals in a two-game span since Chris Wondolowski tallied six from May 18, 2019 (4) to May 26, 2019 (2).
The MLS Player of the Week honor is the first of Chofis' career. He is the third Earthquakes player to be named MLS Player of the Week in 2021, joining Cade Cowell (Week 3) and Wondolowski (Week 4).
SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES HEAD COACH MATIAS ALMEYDA (SEPT. 18)
On Chofis' form in recent matches:
"I am very happy for him. There was great sacrifice in getting him to San Jose and reaching the level he is currently at after going a year and a half without playing. He changed the way he trains and lives football, including his professionalism and calmness. He knows that I try to get to know him and advise him. I have committed mistakes in my life, and I don't want him to commit the same mistakes. I want to see him stay the way he is now. This causes me to be very happy. He is a young, talented player, and for a moment, he was torn by his critics. He can make mistakes and he will learn from them. He will learn by my side and he will keep growing. He has my confidence in him to make his own decisions. It makes me very happy seeing him play this way. I know his family and I am happy for them too. When I see him progressing in the sport, it makes me very pleased because he is progressing in life, and no one talks about that."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 20, 2021
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: September 20, 2021 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC Midfielder Nicolás Lodeiro Undergoes Successful Surgery - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire FC to Begin Three-Game Homestand on Wednesday Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: September 20 Ã¢ÂÂ September 26 - Chicago Fire FC
- Leagues Cup Final Rosters Announced: Seattle Sounders FC and Club León Head to Las Vegas - MLS
- Inter Miami CF to Host Ã¢ÂÂCelebra tu Patria - Hispanic Heritage Night Presented by EspolònÃ¢ÂÂ on September 22ÃÂ - Inter Miami CF
- Earthquakes Midfielder Chofis Named MLS Player of the Week - San Jose Earthquakes
- Whitecaps FC to Host Frontline Heroes Appreciation Night, Presented by BMO - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- San Jose Earthquakes Midfielder Eduardo López Voted MLS Player of the Week for Week 26 - MLS
- MNUFC Youth Development Program Announce 2021-22 MLS Next Season Schedule and Roster - Minnesota United FC
- Set Piece King Jack Price Named to MLS Team of the Week Bench - Colorado Rapids
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- Timbers Defender Larrys Mabiala Named to MLS Team of the Week for Week 26 - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.