Earthquakes Weekly Update: September 20, 2021
The San Jose Earthquakes earned a 4-3 road victory over Austin FC on Saturday evening at Q2 Stadium, after falling 4-3 to Real Salt Lake on Wednesday night at PayPal Park. Saturday's victory sees the Quakes earn their first-ever win over Austin and extend their unbeaten streak on the road to eight, a new club record.
The Earthquakes are now preparing to host LAFC on Saturday, Sept. 25, presented by Valley Health Plan. Saturday marks the Quakes' annual Portuguese Heritage Night and will kick off from PayPal Park at 7:00 p.m. PT. The match will be broadcast on Telemundo 48, KNBR 1050 and 1370 KZSF.
Midfielder Eduardo 'Chofis' Lopez has been named Major League Soccer's Player of the Week for Week 26. Chofis was also selected to Major League Soccer's Team of the Week. He has now scored five goals in the past two games, including a hat-trick last Wednesday.
Earthquakes vs. LAFC All-Time
MLS Regular Season: 3-5-0
Home: 2-2-0 (8 GF, 12 GA)
Away: 1-3-0 (3 GF, 12 GA)
All-Time Scoring: San Jose - 11, LAFC - 24
Last Game vs. LAFC
San Jose Earthquakes 2 - 1 LAFC; Aug. 8, 2021; PayPal Park in San Jose, Calif.
LAST GAME VS. REAL SALT LAKE (9/15)
Midfielder Chofis scored his team-leading sixth, seventh and eighth goals of the season and of his MLS career. It also marked his first multi-goal game since joining the Quakes and the first hat-trick by an Earthquakes player since Chris Wondolowski on May 18, 2019.
Chofis' third goal of the match became the ninth gol olimpico (scored directly from a corner kick) in MLS annals.
Defender Luciano Abecasis tallied an assist on Chofis' first goal, marking his third assist of the season and third of his MLS career.
Goalkeeper JT Marcinkowski made a career-high nine saves.
LAST GAME VS. AUSTIN FC (9/18)
Midfielder Chofis scored his team-leading ninth and 10th goals of the season and of his MLS career. His first goal marked his first goal by way of penalty kick. Including his hat-trick on Wednesday, Chofis became the first Quakes player to score 5+ goals in a two-game span since Chris Wondolowski tallied six from May 18, 2019 (4) to May 26, 2019 (2).
First of the Year
Defender Marcos Lopez scored his first goal of the season and third of his MLS career. His goal also marks the first goal against Austin FC in Earthquakes history.
Adding his Grain of Sand
Midfielder Carlos Fierro tallied an assist on Lopez's goal, marking his third assist of the season and 10th of his MLS career.
Rookie forward Benji Kikanovic tallied an assist on Espinoza's goal, marking his first assist of the season and of his MLS career. The match also marked his second MLS start.
Defender Tommy Thompson started and played 68 minutes, marking his first appearance since June 22.
NEXT GAME VS. LAFC (9/25)
San Jose holds a record of 3-5-0 in eight MLS regular season matchups against LAFC, including a record of 2-2-0 at PayPal Park.
Saturday's match will mark the second meeting between the Quakes and LAFC this season, and the second of three matchups between both clubs at PayPal Park in 2021.
Recent Home Success
The Quakes earned victories in their last two meetings against the SoCal side, both of which were played in San Jose (W 2-1, Aug. 8, 2021; W 3-2, Nov. 4, 2020).
Los Angeles FC currently occupy 8th in the Western Conference standings (33 pts) and are just three points ahead of San Jose (30).
Head coach Matias Almeyda will be available to coach from the sideline for Saturday's match after serving a single-match suspension last Saturday vs. Austin FC.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 20, 2021
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: September 20, 2021 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC Midfielder Nicolás Lodeiro Undergoes Successful Surgery - Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire FC to Begin Three-Game Homestand on Wednesday Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: September 20 Ã¢ÂÂ September 26 - Chicago Fire FC
- Leagues Cup Final Rosters Announced: Seattle Sounders FC and Club León Head to Las Vegas - MLS
- Inter Miami CF to Host Ã¢ÂÂCelebra tu Patria - Hispanic Heritage Night Presented by EspolònÃ¢ÂÂ on September 22ÃÂ - Inter Miami CF
- Earthquakes Midfielder Chofis Named MLS Player of the Week - San Jose Earthquakes
- Whitecaps FC to Host Frontline Heroes Appreciation Night, Presented by BMO - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- San Jose Earthquakes Midfielder Eduardo López Voted MLS Player of the Week for Week 26 - MLS
- MNUFC Youth Development Program Announce 2021-22 MLS Next Season Schedule and Roster - Minnesota United FC
- Set Piece King Jack Price Named to MLS Team of the Week Bench - Colorado Rapids
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- Timbers Defender Larrys Mabiala Named to MLS Team of the Week for Week 26 - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.