Early Lead Slips as Shuckers Fall Again in Montgomery
MONTGOMERY, AL - The Biloxi Shuckers (76-52, 35-23 2nd Half) jumped out to their first lead of the series on Wednesday night at Riverwalk Stadium but fell behind late and suffered a 6-5 loss to the Montgomery Biscuits (84-45, 40-19 2nd Half). Despite 14 hits from the offense, a late seventh-inning rally from the Biscuits was enough to hand Biloxi their fifth straight defeat.
Biloxi tagged Shane McClanahan for a pair of runs and inched to a 2-0 lead. Weston Wilson led off the second inning with a double and scored on a sacrifice fly from Joantgel Segovia. In the fifth, Alexander Alvarez slugged his first home run of the season, a solo blast over the left field wall for a 2-0 cushion.
Drew Rasmussen provided the Shuckers three shutout innings and struck out four, before turning the game over to Johan Belisario (L, 9-2). Belisario tossed a scoreless fourth but allowed an RBI double to Miles Mastrobuoni in the fifth, cutting the lead to 2-1. Tristan Gray then socked a go-ahead two-run home run in the sixth to give Montgomery a 3-2 advantage.
Jake Gatewood tied the game with an RBI double in the seventh, but Montgomery responded with a three-run bottom of the inning. David Rodriguez and Mastrobuoni knocked singles against Belisario and Lucius Fox took back the lead with an RBI hit. Vidal Brujan followed with a sacrifice fly and a wild pitch behind the back of Brett Sullivan scored Fox from third, putting the Shuckers behind 6-3.
Tensions flared in the eighth after Ryan Aguilar hit a solo home run. With Alvarez batting, Ivan Pelaez (W, 3-2) ran a pitch inside that drew a reaction and resulted in the bench clearing. Both sides grappled along the first base line and were separated quickly, although Alvarez and Pelaez were ejected from the game. After the scuffle, Max McDowell entered the game and proceeded to single and score on a Cooper Hummel triple. In the ninth against Tyler Zombro (S, 11), C.J. Hinojosa managed a two-out single, but Segovia struck out to end the game.
The Shuckers conclude their series with the Biscuits on Wednesday and will trying to avoid the sweep with first pitch at 6:35 pm. RHP Alec Bettinger (5-7, 3.55) is scheduled to take the mound for Biloxi while Montgomery's starter is still TBA. The game can be heard locally in Biloxi on Cruisin' WGCM AM 1240/100.9 FM, TuneIn Radio or the MiLB First Pitch App and can be seen on MiLB.TV. Fans can save $10 off their subscription when they use the promo code 'Shuckers' at checkout.
Flex Plans and Group Outings for the 2019 Biloxi Shuckers season are on sale and are available for purchase by calling 228-233-3465, online at biloxishuckers.com or by visiting the MGM Park front office. With the 2020 Southern League schedule announced, Shuck Nation Memberships for the 2020 season are also available by visiting the Biloxi Shuckers front office. The Biloxi Shuckers will host Game 1 and Game 2 of the South Division Championship Series on September 4 & 5 at MGM Park. Tickets for all six potential playoff games at MGM Park are on sale now.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from August 21, 2019
- Hot Start Helps BayBears Win Third Straight Game - Mobile BayBears
- Early Lead Slips as Shuckers Fall Again in Montgomery - Biloxi Shuckers
- Smokies Swept in Wednesday's Double-Header - Tennessee Smokies
- Lookouts Lose Game Four Early - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Biscuits Slip Past Shuckers, 6-5 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Big Bats, Ober Lead Blue Wahoos to 8-2 Victory - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Generals Gameday: August 21 vs. Tennessee (DH) - Jackson Generals
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, August 21 at Birmingham - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Jeffers Comes up Big in the 10th - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Biloxi Shuckers Stories
- 'Schooner's Landing' Golf Experience at MGM Park Extended Through September
- 'Schooner's Landing' Golf Experience Set to Return to MGM Park
- Louisiana Knights Set to Return to MGM Park
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Cancelled
- Shuckers Launch "Schooner's Landing" Golf Experience in July