Eagles Beat Ice Bats 6-3
AUSTIN, Texas- The Colorado Eagles bounced back with a 6-3 win over the Austin Ice Bats Saturday night at the Chaparral Ice Arena. The Eagles added to their league-record shorthanded goals total with two shorthanded goals in the game. Chris Hartsburg had a goal and three assists and Ed McGrane added two goals for the Eagles as they improved their record to 41-15-1. The Eagles are now tied with the Laredo Bucks for first overall in the Central Hockey League. Colorado heads home for a game against the Oklahoma City Blazers Tuesday night at the Budweiser Events Center.
The Eagles opened the flood gates in the first period with four goals. Chris Hartsburg scored the team's 29th shorthanded goal of the season at the 3:39 mark of the period. He was followed by defenseman Craig Strain at the 6:55 mark. Seth Leonard scored his 20th goal of the season on assists from Hartsburg and Riley Nelson. The assist was Nelson's second of the game and upped his career total to 497 points. Finally, with five seconds remaining in the period, Ed McGrane scored his first of the game. Colorado scored four goals on 12 shots in the opening frame and led 4-0 going into the first intermission.
Colorado took a 5-0 lead on a goal by Steve Haddon only 3:59 into the second period. The Ice Bats finally got on the board at the 17:41 mark on an unassisted goal by Jason Kenyon. After two periods, the Eagles held a 5-1 lead.
Julian Smith made a 5-2 game in the third period when he was awarded a penalty shot and beat Paulo Colaiacovo. Austin then made it a 5-3 game with 3:08 remaining when Henry Kuster scored a power play goal on assists from Aaron Davis and Michael Tucciarone. Austin pulled their goaltender in the final moments of the game only to have Ed McGrane scored his second of the game, a shorthanded goal, the Eagles 30th of the season. Final Score: Eagles 6 - Ice Bats 3.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 10, 2007
- Scorpions Rumble Way To Victory Over Thunder - New Mexico Scorpions
- Rage Let Oilers Off the Hook, Lose in Shootout - Rocky Mountain Rage
- Shootout at the DCC, RiverKings down Steelhounds - Mississippi RiverKings
- Rayz beat Killer Bees 4-3 in overtime - Corpus Christi IceRays
- It was "Miller Time" for Amarillo in 5-1 win over Cotton Kings - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Eagles Beat Ice Bats 6-3 - Colorado Eagles
- Hounds Lose to Kings in 10 Round Shootout - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Bugs Outlast Blazers 2-1 in OT - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Sundogs Fall to Odessa 2-1 - Arizona Sundogs
- Cotton Kings Road Game Preview - Lubbock Cotton Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.