Scorpions Rumble Way To Victory Over Thunder
[ RIO RANCHO, N.M.]-A return to home ice is exactly what the Scorpions needed. Using a season high 55 shots, New Mexico beat Wichita 2-1 on Saturday night.
In the first period the Scorpions threw 23 shots towards the net, but Thunder goalie Andrew Martin could not be beat. Starting the second period on a power play, New Mexico wasted no time taking the lead.
Just 11-seconds into the middle frame, Rob Guinn threw the puck towards the net, on the way it hit Wichita defenseman Daniel Tetrault's skate and into his own net.
The Scorpions continued to pour on the offensive pressure throughout the second period. At the 5:30 mark Chris Robertson came out of the penalty box grabbed the puck and dropped a pass to Jamie Herrington. Herrington then found a streaking Ryan McLeod on his way to the net. McLeod finished one of the best plays you will ever see giving him 22 goals on the year.
The Thunder made some noise in the third period. At the 7:42 mark Kris Wiebe wrapped around the net and scored his 19th goal of the season. Fortunately for the 4,198 fans inside the Santa Ana Star Center , that would be the only time Scorpions goalie David Cacciola was beat.
The Scorpions will enjoy a few days off before returning to home ice on Wednesday night against Corpus Christi . New Mexico will also be home on Friday night when the Odessa Jackalopes come to town. The first 1,500 people inside the Santa Ana Star Center will get a free puck courtesy of the New Mexico National Guard. Both games drop the puck at 7:35 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 10, 2007
- Scorpions Rumble Way To Victory Over Thunder - New Mexico Scorpions
- Rage Let Oilers Off the Hook, Lose in Shootout - Rocky Mountain Rage
- Shootout at the DCC, RiverKings down Steelhounds - Mississippi RiverKings
- Rayz beat Killer Bees 4-3 in overtime - Corpus Christi IceRays
- It was "Miller Time" for Amarillo in 5-1 win over Cotton Kings - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Eagles Beat Ice Bats 6-3 - Colorado Eagles
- Hounds Lose to Kings in 10 Round Shootout - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Bugs Outlast Blazers 2-1 in OT - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Sundogs Fall to Odessa 2-1 - Arizona Sundogs
- Cotton Kings Road Game Preview - Lubbock Cotton Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.