Sundogs Fall to Odessa 2-1
PRESCOTT VALLEY, Ariz. - Fellow Southwest Division opponents the Arizona Sundogs and Odessa Jackalopes skated Saturday night in Odessa, Texas as both teams tried to secure a playoff spot. Coming into Saturday night's contest the Sundogs were tied with the Amarillo Gorillas for second place in the Southwest Division, four points back of first-place New Mexico. Odessa would skate away with a 2-1 win Saturday night. With the loss the Sundogs fall to third place in the Southwest Division and fifth place in the Southern Conference playoff race.
The Sundogs' Jonathan Bernier and Jackalopes' Jeff Ewasko would exchange punches just 33 seconds into the game, each trying to give his club a spark. Odessa would grab a 1-0 lead at 5:18 of the first period on an Emery Olauson goal from Nathan Ward and Matt Cressman. The Sundogs would capitalize on a 5-on-3 power play at the 13:19 mark as David Svagrovsky would tip a Karl Sellan shot past Jackalopes' netminder Mike Gorman. Defenseman Chris Bartolone would also be credited with an assist on the 1-1 equalizer.
The Jackalopes would regain its one-goal lead as Brian Swiniarski would one-time the puck past Sundogs' netminder Mike Wall after a turnover between the circles in front of the Arizona net. Olauson would tally his second point of the night assisting on the Swiniarski go-ahead goal.
The third period would go scoreless for both teams as Swiniarski's second period goal would prove to be the difference-maker in the 2-1 Odessa win. Arizona would outshoot the Jackalopes in third period by a mark of 13-7.
Goaltender Mike Wall would make his third appearance for the Sundogs since being picked up by the Colorado Avalanche at the NHL trade deadline. Wall would stop 32 of 34 shots in the 2-1 loss while Mike Gorman would deflect all but one of 34 shots faced. Arizona would convert on 1-of-5 power play chances while Odessa would go 0-for-5 with the man advantage.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 10, 2007
- Scorpions Rumble Way To Victory Over Thunder - New Mexico Scorpions
- Rage Let Oilers Off the Hook, Lose in Shootout - Rocky Mountain Rage
- Shootout at the DCC, RiverKings down Steelhounds - Mississippi RiverKings
- Rayz beat Killer Bees 4-3 in overtime - Corpus Christi IceRays
- It was "Miller Time" for Amarillo in 5-1 win over Cotton Kings - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Eagles Beat Ice Bats 6-3 - Colorado Eagles
- Hounds Lose to Kings in 10 Round Shootout - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Bugs Outlast Blazers 2-1 in OT - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Sundogs Fall to Odessa 2-1 - Arizona Sundogs
- Cotton Kings Road Game Preview - Lubbock Cotton Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.