Durango scores three runs, steals three bases in 8-4 win over River Cats
PORTLAND, Ore. - Craig Cooper hit a three-run home run in the first inning and Luis Durango scored three times as the Portland Beavers dismantled the Sacramento River Cats 8-4 at PGE Park on Friday night.
Cooper's homer was his fourth of the season and drove in Durango and Mike Baxter with the game's first runs. The Beavers (23-37) never trailed in the contest.
Josh Geer (2-6) earned the win for Portland, tossing seven innings and giving up four runs on seven hits. He struck out two and walked three.
Jesus Sanchez (0-1) got the start for Sacramento (28-34) and was knocked around early. He made it three innings and gave up seven runs and seven hits, striking out two and walking three.
Josh Donaldson was a triple short of the cycle for the River Cats, knocking in two runs and scoring two others.
The Beavers got off to a quick three-run lead in the first when Cooper knocked a one-out pitch over the left field wall for a three-run home run.
The River Cats responded with a run in the top of the second but Portland put up three more runs in the second half of the frame when Durango hit a two-run double to right and later scored on a Donaldson error.
In the third, Donaldson redeemed himself with a two-run homer to left field that brought the River Cats within three runs of Portland.
Chris Stewart hit an RBI triple in the second half of the inning that scored Craig Stansberry from second.
Durango scored his third run of the game on a Josh Barfield sac-fly in the fourth.
Neither team scored again until the sixth when Dallas McPherson drove in Donaldson on a single to right.
The Beavers continue their series against the River Cats Saturday night at 7:05 p.m. (Pacific) at PGE Park.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 12, 2010
- Sounds Shut out Again by Omaha, 1-0 - Nashville Sounds
- Morrison Helps Z's Top Express, 6-3 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Round Rock Express Drop Second Straight at New Orleans 6-3 - Round Rock Express
- Gotay homers, Redbirds rally - Memphis Redbirds
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Rainiers Run Over By Fresno - Tacoma Rainiers
- Durango scores three runs, steals three bases in 8-4 win over River Cats - Portland Beavers
- Salt Lake Shuts Down Aces, 4-1 - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss