Dunedin Wins Fifth Straight
Clearwater, FL. - The Blue Jays defeated the Clearwater Threshers by the final score of 8-3 in game two of the four game series on Tuesday night at Spectrum Field.
RHP Kyle Johnston (1-2) picked up his first win in a Dunedin uniform, and despite walking seven, made some big pitches on his way to the five inning performance.
Meanwhile, the Blue Jays offense scored runs in their first three plate appearances. In the top of the first Chavez Young extended his hitting streak to a career best 13 games with a single to right-center to score Reggie Pruitt. In the second, Nick Podkul lifted a homer to over the wall in left center, and Ryan Noda drove in a run with a sacrifice fly in third to make it 3-0 Dunedin.
Clearwater tied the game in the bottom of the fourth. Ben Aklinski smashed a two-run homerun to left, and Dalton Guthrie scored later in the inning on a pass ball. The tie wouldn't last long as Ryan Noda drilled a two-run shot to right and knocking RHP Andrew Brown out of the game in the process. The Jays pushed across a run in the sixth, and in the eighth, Dunedin loaded the bases with no outs. Young smacked a single up the middle to drive in a run, and Noda registered his fourth RBI of the game with a sac-fly to give Dunedin the 8-3 lead.
RHPs Maverick Buffo and Kyle Weatherly tossed five scoreless in what was another solid outing by the Blue Jays bullpen. Dunedin has a chance to win their second consecutive series tomorrow in game three of the four game series with Clearwater. The first pitch is set for 7:00 E.T. with live play-by-play coverage beginning at 6:45 E.T. across the Dunedin Blue Jays Baseball Network powered by TuneIn.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from August 13, 2019
- Maciel's Late Magic Propels Miracle In Extras - Fort Myers Miracle
- Mets, Miracle Split Doubleheader on Tuesday - St. Lucie Mets
- Dunedin Wins Fifth Straight - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Stone Crabs Blow out Daytona 13-2 to Take Eighth Straight - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Charlotte Corrals Daytona in Game Two - Daytona Tortugas
- Blue Jays Use Early Offense to Hold off Threshers - Clearwater Threshers
- Palma, Cabrera Back Junk's Strong Start in 4-2 Triumph - Tampa Tarpons
- Wilkins Wills Fire Frogs to Tuesday Twin Bill Sweep, 6-0 and 2-1 - Florida Fire Frogs
- Banuelos' Big Day Not Enough In Loss To St. Lucie - Fort Myers Miracle
- August 13th Game against Lakeland Postponed, Will be Made up as Doubleheader - Jupiter Hammerheads
- Stone Crabs Game Notes - Tue, August 13 at Daytona - Charlotte Stone Crabs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dunedin Blue Jays Stories
- Samad Taylor Recipient of Team Community Service Award
- Dunedin Finishes 2019 with a Victory
- Florida State League Season Finale Series, Playoffs Cancelled Due to Impending Weather
- Dunedin Blue Jays End of Season All Stars
- Dunedin Sweeps Fort Myers in a Doubleheader