Drive Re-Acquire Marcus Thornton
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - The Grand Rapids Drive, the official NBA G League Affiliate of the Detroit Pistons, announced today that the team has added Marcus Thornton back to the team's roster.
Thornton, the 6-foot-4, 205-pound NBA veteran was originally acquired by Grand Rapids on Dec. 13, 2017 from the available player pool where he appeared in 15 games (2 starts) averaging 18.9 points, 1.5 steals, 1.2 assists and 2.9 rebounds in 24.6 minutes per game during the 2017-18 season. Prior to returning to the Drive, Thornton signed with the Chinese CBA League on Feb. 4, 2018 to play for the Beijing Shougang Ducks. While with the Ducks, Thornton appeared in only 2 games and averaged 14.0 points, 4.0 assists, 6.0 rebounds in 21.8 minutes per game.
The LSU alum was selected with the 43rd overall pick by the Miami Heat in the 2009 NBA draft, but his rights were later traded to the New Orleans Hornets. With an NBA playing career from 2009-2017, Thornton has played with the New Orleans Hornets (2009-11), Sacramento Kings (2011-14), Brooklyn Nets (2014), Boston Celtics (2014-15), Phoenix Suns (2015), Houston Rockets (2015-16) and Washington Wizards (2016-17). Throughout his NBA career, Thornton has appeared in 483 games, averaging 11.9 points and 2.8 rebounds in 23.4 minutes per game. He was NBA All-Rookie Second Team (2010), SEC Player of the Year (2009) and First-Team All-SEC (2009).
While with the Drive, Thornton will wear jersey number 7 and will be activated for tomorrow's game when Grand Rapids hosts the Texas Legends at DeltaPlex Arena.
With the news of the Drive adding Thornton, Grand Rapids has waived Elijah Brown.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 11, 2018
- JAKKS Pacific Donates Toys to Pacers Sports & Entertainment for the 9th Year - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Balanced Magic Take Down Knicks - Lakeland Magic
- Lakeland Tops Westchester, 115-91 - Westchester Knicks
- Noa Parks Recognized as Memphis Hustle High School Athlete of the Month Presented by Campbell Clinic - Memphis Hustle
- Red Claws Acquire Tyrius Walker - Maine Red Claws
- Elie Okobo Assigned to Northern Arizona Suns - Northern Arizona Suns
- Drive Re-Acquire Marcus Thornton - Grand Rapids Drive
- Westchester Travels to Lakeland Tuesday - Westchester Knicks
- Atlanta Hawks Recall Daniel Hamilton from Erie BayHawks - Erie BayHawks
- Shareef Abdur-Rahim Named NBA G League President as Malcolm Turner Steps Down - G League
- Stockton Kings Can't Stop Erie BayHawks - Stockton Kings
- Jackson Drops 35 on Memphis - Texas Legends
- Hustle Win Fourth Straight, Defeat Texas Legends 134-125 - Memphis Hustle
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.