Drive Drop Home Finale to GreenJackets
GREENVILLE, S.C. - The Greenville Drive dropped its final home at Fluor Field in 2019, falling to the Augusta GreenJackets, 11-0, on Thursday night.
The GreenJackets scored early and often, plating two in the second, third, fifth, and sixth innings, before putting up three more in the eighth. The scoring opened with a two-run home run from Sean Roby in the second. A sac fly from Francisco Tostado and an RBI single by Jacob Gonzalez plated two more, making it a 4-0 game after three.
A Drive error opened the fifth, followed by a double by Simon Whiteside to put runners at second and third for Gonzalez, who singled to center to score both and make it a 6-0 lead. Another Drive error put a man aboard in the sixth, before a pair of GreenJackets hits and a force out allowed two runs to score, making it an 8-0 game. The road team would cap off the game with three runs on four hits and another Drive error in the eighth for the eventual final of 11-0.
Augusta starter Norwith Gudino (2-0) earned the win, allowing two hits in 5.2 scoreless innings pitched with 12 strikeouts against no walks. Drive starter Hunter Haworth (5-8) suffered the loss, allowing six runs (five earned) on seven hits with seven strikeouts against no walks in 5.0 innings of work.
Triston Casas and Kervin Suarez each doubled in the final home contest of the season. Cole Brannen, Korby Batesole and Oscar Rangel each added a single to account for the Drive's five hits on the night. Brendan Nail threw 1.1 scoreless innings of work to finish the game, allowing one hits and totaling two strikeouts.
The Drive travel to Charleston for the final series of the season, facing the RiverDogs in a four-game set beginning on Friday.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 29, 2019
- Six-Run Fourth Dooms Power in 9-0 Shutout Loss - West Virginia Power
- RiverDogs Overwhelm Tourists in Road Finale - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Drop Home Finale to GreenJackets - Greenville Drive
- MacIver's Two Home Runs Not Enough to Prevent Collapse - Asheville Tourists
- G-Rod Spins Another Gem, 'Birds Take Split - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Suns Drop Kannapolis Finale 5-4 - Hagerstown Suns
- Jackets Take over 1st Place with 11-0 Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Tourists Break All-Time Single Season Attendance Record - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 29 vs. Hickory (Game 132) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Homestand #13 Preview: August 30-September 2 - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (August 29) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Bill on Baseball: Gardner, Bae, Macias Boost Hoppers - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Promotional Notes (August 30-September 2) - West Virginia Power
- Osik's Sixth Inning Bomb Earns Kannapolis 3-1 Victory - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Moreno Continues Recent Dominance in Fireflies Loss - Columbia Fireflies
- Playoff Hopes Suffer a Blow with Rome's 6-4 Defeat - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.