Suns Drop Kannapolis Finale 5-4
KANNAPOLIS, NC - A sixth inning rally could not lift the Suns over the Intimidators in a 5-4 loss in Kannapolis Thursday evening.
Jackson Stoeckinger (L, 2-3) got into trouble early, issuing a walk with the bases loaded to allow Kannapolis's first run to score in the home half of the first frame. The Intimidators (62-72, 34-32) would add two more in the third from Tyler Osik's second homer in as many games.
Hagerstown (62-74, 32-34) mustered a comeback and clawed to within one, scoring a pair in the sixth. Jacob Rhinesmith and Israel Pineda hit back-to-back two out singles before Kyle Marinconz drew a walk to load the bases. After a mound visit, Cole Daily drove in a run dribbling a base knock back to the pitcher before Phil Caulfield drew a bases loaded walk to bring the score to 5-4.
The Suns capitalized on a pair of miscues from Kannapolis starter Devon Perez and reliever Hansen Butler (W, 1-1) tossed wild pitches that led to runs in back-to-back innings.
Once Hagerstown got to the bullpen, they did not surrender a run Pearson McMahan worked 2.1 innings before handing the ball to Matt Cronin, who fanned a pair in the eighth.
Justin O'Conner (S, 1) finished a scoreless ninth to get the save for Kannapolis.
Tomorrow the Suns return home to start off a four-game set with the Lakewood BlueClaws. RHP Tomas Alastre (5-12, 5.48 ERA) gets the nod for Hagerstown while Lakewood opts to throw LHP Erik Miller (1-0, 3.38 ERA).
After this series ends, the Suns will close out their season with a four-game set against the Lakewood BlueClaws Friday-Monday. The homestand will have two special jersey auctions, the final fireworks show of the year and a Paul "Ears" McNeal bobblehead giveaway. For tickets or more information call 301-791-6266 or visit hagerstownsuns.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 29, 2019
- Six-Run Fourth Dooms Power in 9-0 Shutout Loss - West Virginia Power
- RiverDogs Overwhelm Tourists in Road Finale - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Drop Home Finale to GreenJackets - Greenville Drive
- MacIver's Two Home Runs Not Enough to Prevent Collapse - Asheville Tourists
- G-Rod Spins Another Gem, 'Birds Take Split - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Suns Drop Kannapolis Finale 5-4 - Hagerstown Suns
- Jackets Take over 1st Place with 11-0 Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Tourists Break All-Time Single Season Attendance Record - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 29 vs. Hickory (Game 132) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Homestand #13 Preview: August 30-September 2 - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (August 29) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Bill on Baseball: Gardner, Bae, Macias Boost Hoppers - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Promotional Notes (August 30-September 2) - West Virginia Power
- Osik's Sixth Inning Bomb Earns Kannapolis 3-1 Victory - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Moreno Continues Recent Dominance in Fireflies Loss - Columbia Fireflies
- Playoff Hopes Suffer a Blow with Rome's 6-4 Defeat - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.