Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes
The Suns travel to Intimidators Stadium for their final road game of the season. LHP Jackson Stoeckinger (2-2, 2.38 ERA) gets the nod for the Suns, while Kannapolis opts to throw RHP Davis Martin (8-9, 5.06 ERA).
RUTLEDGE SETS SEASON-HIGH IN LOSS: Jackson Rutledge set a Suns' season-high nine strikeouts in Hagerstown's 3-1 loss to the Kannapolis Intimidators at Intimidators Stadium Wednesday night. Rutledge struck out the side in the third and fifth innings prior to leaving the game with a no-decision having allowed one run in his five innings of work. Hagerstown (62-73, 32-33) utilized just one reliever, Alex Troop (L, 1-3), who allowed a two-run homer in the sixth to Kannapolis's (61-72, 33-32) Tyler Osik that proved to be the difference maker. Wilber Perez (W, 4-1) shut down Hagerstown, offering three scoreless innings of relief prior to handing the ball to J.B. Olson (S, 3) who finished off the ninth. Hagerstown's lone run came in the fifth, after Armond Upshaw led off the inning with a walk and scored off the bat of Justin Connell to tie the game 1-1.
SO LONG, FAREWELL: Hagerstown will be the final visiting team to play at Intimidators Stadium. There are still three more games scheduled in Kannapolis, but next season, Kannapolis will play at a new stadium and rename their team.
THE LONGEST ROAD: Reid Schaller has found his home away from home in his last few outings. In his last 20 innings on the road, the Vanderbilt-product has allowed just one run to score and in the mean-time has given up just eight hits. Adding to that, he has been able to make a ton of bats miss, recording 22 strikeouts over the last 20 frames and a dizzying career-high eight in his outing last Thursday. Schaller was able to keep it going at Municipal Stadium Wednesday, striking out six more while allowing just one earned run.
STRUGGLING WITH RUNNERS ON: After last night's 1-for-13 performance with runners in scoring position, Hagerstown has just two hits in 28 opportunities with runners threatening in this series against Kannapolis. Hagerstown's two losses have been by one and two runs and in those games they've left more than 10 men in scoring position.
COOL LIKE CONNELL: Outfielder Justin Connell has tallied multiple hits in each of his last two games. After struggling to reach a .200 average in July, the Florida-native has hit at a .227 clip in August.
COUNTING IT DOWN: Hagerstown has just five games remaining this season, with 4 of them coming at Municipal Stadium. The Suns will give away one more bobbleheads, a Paul "Ears" McNeal bobblehead August 31. In addition to that, the Suns will also have their final fireworks show August 30 following the game against Delmarva.
JOLLY JAKE: Jake Irvin has rolled right through the South Atlantic League in August. The righty has fanned 21 batters in as many innings while maintaining a 2.14 ERA in four starts for Hagerstown. While the Oklahoma-product is 1-1 over the stretch, he has recorded the fourth-lowest ERA in the league in that time, trailing just Kannapolis's Sam Long, Delmarva's Ryan Wilson and Charleston's Roansy Contreras.
SUN SPOTS: Yesterday Hagerstown outhit Kannapolis 7-3, but still lost the game. The Suns are 45-14 when they outhit their opponent this year.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 29, 2019
- Six-Run Fourth Dooms Power in 9-0 Shutout Loss - West Virginia Power
- RiverDogs Overwhelm Tourists in Road Finale - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Drop Home Finale to GreenJackets - Greenville Drive
- MacIver's Two Home Runs Not Enough to Prevent Collapse - Asheville Tourists
- G-Rod Spins Another Gem, 'Birds Take Split - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Suns Drop Kannapolis Finale 5-4 - Hagerstown Suns
- Jackets Take over 1st Place with 11-0 Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Tourists Break All-Time Single Season Attendance Record - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: August 29 vs. Hickory (Game 132) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Homestand #13 Preview: August 30-September 2 - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (August 29) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Bill on Baseball: Gardner, Bae, Macias Boost Hoppers - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Promotional Notes (August 30-September 2) - West Virginia Power
- Osik's Sixth Inning Bomb Earns Kannapolis 3-1 Victory - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Moreno Continues Recent Dominance in Fireflies Loss - Columbia Fireflies
- Playoff Hopes Suffer a Blow with Rome's 6-4 Defeat - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.