Dream Signs Free Agent Point Guard Nikki Teasley
Atlanta, August 15, 2008- The Atlanta Dream announced today the signing of free agent point guard Nikki Teasley for the remainder of the season. Teasley spent the last two seasons with the Washington Mystics before parting ways with the team in March. She gave birth to her daughter in June and has missed all of the 2008 season to date.
"To have a 6-foot point guard is definitely an advantage," said Dream Head Coach Marynell Meadors. "Nikki is a tremendous talent and excels at seeing the floor. She will be a huge plus for us and provides us with size at the point guard position."
In her six year WNBA career, Teasley is averaging 8.7 points 3.2 rebounds and 5.0 assists per game. She started 33 games for the Mystics last season, averaging 5.2 points, 2.2 rebounds and 3.3 assists per game. Teasley was originally selected with the fifth overall pick in the 2002 WNBA Draft and spent her first four seasons in the league with the Los Angeles Sparks, where she hit the game winning shot in the 2002 WNBA Championship. Teasley was also named the MVP of the 2003 WNBA All-Star game.
During her collegiate career at the University of North Carolina, Teasley averaged an Atlantic Coast Conference record 5.8 assists per game. She finished her career as the Tar Heels all-time leader in assists (728) and three-pointers (236). She was the first player in conference history to lead the ACC in assists all four years and was only the second player to record 1,500 points and 600 assists in her career.
The Dream tipped off their inaugural season at Philips Arena with back-to-back sellouts on May 23 and May 25, 2008. The team was officially announced as the 14th team in the WNBA on October 17, 2007. The Dream are members of the WNBA's Eastern conference which also includes the Chicago Sky, Connecticut Sun, Detroit Shock, Indiana Fever, New York Liberty and Washington Mystics. For more information and to purchase season tickets, fans can call (404) 604-2626 or visit www.AtlantaDream.net. Fans may obtain single-game tickets by calling (404) 249-6400 or by visiting www.ticketmaster.com. Tickets also will be available for purchase at the Philips Arena box office.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from August 15, 2008
- Ford Undergoes Successful Surgical Procedure - Detroit Shock
- Storm Players Hard at Work During Olympic Break - Seattle Storm
- Dream Signs Free Agent Point Guard Nikki Teasley - Atlanta Dream
- Minnesota Lynx to Host Inaugural Lynx Beach Volleyball Tournament - Minnesota Lynx
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta Dream Stories
- Brittney Sykes and Elizabeth Williams Added to USA National Team Pool
- Atlanta Dream Sign Blake Dietrick to Training Camp Contract
- Atlanta Dream Announce Two Preseason Games
- Damaris Dantas Re-Signs with Atlanta Dream
- Atlanta Dream Sign Adaora Elonu to Training Camp Contract