'Dogs Add Stellar Arm, Speedy Outfielder from El Paso
LINCOLN -- The Saltdogs picked up a premier hurler for their bullpen, along with two other players from the El Paso Diablos Monday for cash considerations.
Lincoln acquired RHP Marshall Schuler, who averaged more than a strikeout per inning; OF Oscar Mesa, who hit nearly .300 with great speed; and RHP Justin Kuks, a true rookie that impressed in his first season of pro ball.
Schuler went 8-2 with a 2.56 ERA, booking 13 saves while striking out 58 in 56 1/3 innings over 41 appearances for Grand Prairie and El Paso in 2013.
The 25-year old righty was originally selected by the Philadelphia Phillies in the 2010 MLB draft out of Colorado School of Mines.
Mesa, 27, hit .293 with eight triples, 32 RBI and stole 17 bases in 78 games for the Diablos this past season.
Kuks, a 24-year old rookie from West Texas A&M, went 3-2 with a 3.03 ERA in 38 2/3 innings for El Paso, over 14 games including five starts.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from September 23, 2013
- 'Dogs Add Stellar Arm, Speedy Outfielder from El Paso - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Spudic Resigns - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- T-Bones Re-Acquire Padgett, Irvine - Kansas City T-Bones
- Goldeyes Leaders in Attendance Once Again - Winnipeg Goldeyes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.