Devils Shut Down by Crunch, 4-0
BINGHAMTON - The Binghamton Devils were shut out by the Syracuse Crunch for the third time this season, this time 4-0, at Floyd L. Maines Veterans Memorial Arena on Tuesday night.
Carter Verhaeghe scored his 24th goal of the season 13:25 into the game for a 1-0 lead. After forcing a turnover in the neutral zone, Verhaeghe moved around Egor Sharangovich and lifted the puck over the shoulder of Cam Johnson for the advantage. The lone assist on the opening goal was credited to Brady Brassart. Following the goal, goaltender Connor Ingram came in to replace Eddie Pasquale in net.
Under one minute later, Mitchell Stephens put home a rebound for a 2-0 Crunch lead. Stephens won the offensive zone faceoff, went right to the crease, and scored following a Nolan Valleau shot for the two-goal lead. Stephens' goal was his sixth of the year with helpers from Valleau and Andy Andreoff and the Crunch took a 2-0 lead into the intermission.
Syracuse added to the lead just 2:57 into the second as Andreoff scored his 19th of the year for a 3-0 lead. Andreoff took the puck just above the crease and lifted it over Johnson's shoulder, unassisted.
Boris Katchouk scored unassisted as he moved into the right wing circle and beat Johnson for a 4-0 lead. The goal came with just 2:06 left in the second, unassisted, and Syracuse took a four-goal lead into the final period along with a 21-16 shot advantage.
Despite playing just 13:25, Pasquale was credited with the win, stopping all five shots he faced. Ingram earned first-star of the game honors, putting aside all 17 shots he saw.
The Binghamton Devils return home next Friday and Saturday, March 8 and March 9 as they host Springfield and Rochester. Friday is a 4-Pack Night along with Irish Night. Then, it's a Saturday 2-Pack and Faith & Family Night against Rochester. Call or text "TICKETS" to 607-722-7367.
Binghamton Devils full season memberships are now available for the 2019-20 season! Get great benefits such as FREE New Jersey Devils NHL tickets,exclusive access to Devils players, a brand new referral program, gift cards, and much more! For information on becoming a member, text "MEMBER" to 607-722-7367.
For more information, including pricing, group outings, taking a limo to the game, fan experiences, and much more, visit www.binghamtondevils.com or call the Devils front office at 607-722-7367.
Images from this story
Binghamton Devils goaltender Cam Johnson vs. the Syracuse Crunch
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 26, 2019
- Devils Shut Down by Crunch, 4-0 - Binghamton Devils
- Crunch Blank Devils, 4-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- AHL Presence in Tucson Takes Youth Hockey to New Heights - Tucson Roadrunners
- Ontario Reign Announce Roster Moves - Ontario Reign
- Bears Weekly #21: Hershey's Historic Streak Kick-Starts Playoff Push - Hershey Bears
- Phantoms Power Play - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Florida Panthers Recall D Riley Stillman from Springfield - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Pyrochta Join the Admirals - Milwaukee Admirals
- Blues Recall Sammy Blais - San Antonio Rampage
- Marlies Announce Time Change to March 24 Game - Toronto Marlies
- Wolf Pack Release Matt Finn from PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- IceHogs to Host Country Night Friday, March 1 against Grand Rapids - Rockford IceHogs
- Amerks Announce Time Change for March 24 Road Game in Toronto - Rochester Americans
- Sabres Recall O'Regan - Rochester Americans
- Division-Leading Griffins Set for Friday Night Trip to Rockford - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Weekly: Penguins Hit the Road for Final Visits to Providence, Hartford - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Flyers Loan Justin Bailey to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Roadrunners Edged by Record-Setting Condors in Monday's 3-1 Loss - Tucson Roadrunners
- Condors Win 17th Straight, 3-1 over Tucson - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.