Davis and Morel Both Homer Twice as Smokies Slug Past Trash Pandas
MADISON, AL - The Tennessee Smokies (28-36) defeated the Rocket City Trash Pandas (32-34), 12-8, Wednesday night at Toyota Field to even up the series. Chicago Cubs No. 2 prospect, according to MLB Pipeline, Brennen Davis and No. 7 prospect Christopher Morel both homered twice in the win. Davis drove in a career-best five runs, while Morel drove in four.
The Smokies trailed 3-0 after David MacKinnon's three-run home run in the bottom of the first, but tied the game in the second. Jared Young led off the inning with a single, and Morel walked with one out, both scored on Cam Balego's two-run double. Edwin Figuera followed with an RBI single, scoring Balego, to tie the game.
Nelson Maldonado drew a lead-off walk in the third then scored on Davis' two-run home run, his first blast of the night, to put the Smokies in front for the first time. After a strikeout, Chase Strumpf walked and scored on Morel's two-run blast, his first of the game, to extend the lead to 7-3.
After Rocket City scored twice in the bottom of the third to cut the deficit to 7-5, Davis hit a 408-foot, three-run home run in the top of the fourth to extend the Smokies lead to 10-5. Darius Hill and Maldonado both scored on Davis' second blast of the night.
The Trash Pandas inched closer after Brendon Davis' solo home run in the seventh. In the eighth, Torii Hunter Jr hit a two-run blast to cut the Smokies lead to 10-8.
Morel's second home run provided the Smokies with extra insurance in the ninth, it was a two-run blast that scored Strumpf and extended the Smokies lead to 12-8.
RHP Peyton Remy (W, 1-2) earned his first Double-A win. Remy allowed five runs on seven hits and had four strikeouts in five innings. RHP Ethan Roberts pitched a perfect ninth to close out the game. Balego finished 2-for-5 at the plate with a double and two RBI. Strumpf and Maldonado both reached three times and scored twice in the win.
The Smokies and Trash Pandas continue their series at Toyota Field on Thursday night. First pitch between RHP Cam Sanders (1-4, 5.82) and LHP Jhonathan Diaz (2-1, 2.28) is scheduled for 7:35 PM ET. Fans can hear all Smokies games by going to https://www.milb.com/tennessee/fans/audio-listen-live.
The Smokies return home on Tuesday July 27 to begin a six game series with the Chattanooga Lookouts. Tickets are available and can be purchased online, over the phone, or by visiting the box office.
• Discuss this story on the Double-A South League message board...
Double-A South League Stories from July 21, 2021
- Davis and Morel Both Homer Twice as Smokies Slug Past Trash Pandas - Tennessee Smokies
- Spanberger, Shuckers Rout M-Braves on Wednesday Night - Mississippi Braves
- Spanberger's Historic Night Powers Shuckers to 14-3 Win - Biloxi Shuckers
- Trash Pandas Drop Slugfest with Smokies, 12-8 - Rocket City Trash Pandas
- Pensacola's Ninth-Inning Surge Sees Wahoos Ease Past Biscuits, Win 7-3 - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Lookouts Lose to Barons in High Scoring Affair - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Wahoos Best Biscuits, 7-3 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Marlins #15 Prospect Kyle Nicolas Joins Blue Wahoos - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Andy Otero Transferred to Triple-A Nashville - Biloxi Shuckers
- Wednesday, July 21 vs. Biloxi Shuckers: 6:35 PM CT: Trustmark Park - Mississippi Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tennessee Smokies Stories
- Lugo Strikes out Six, Wins Pitcher's Duel at Smokies Stadium
- Smokies Score Four in the Third, Even up Series with Lookouts
- Jordan Homers as the Smokies Comeback Attempt Falls Short
- Series Finale Between Smokies & Trash Pandas Suspended
- Chalmers Tosses Five Scoreless Innings, Earns First Victory