D.C. United Trades Orlando Perez
CHANTILLY, VA (July 18, 2002) - D.C. United announced today that the club has traded Orlando Perez to the Chicago Fire in exchange for their second round natural pick in the 2003 MLS SuperDraft. D.C. United acquired Perez, with Petter Villegas, on May 9th from the MetroStars in exchange for Mark Lisi and Craig Ziadie. The Black-and-Red will travel to Cardinal Stadium to play the Fire this Saturday, July 20th at 8:30 p.m. EDT. The match will be broadcast live on dcunited.com and on WACA 1540 AM (Spanish).
"Orlando is a quality young player," said United Technical Director Dave Kasper. "We appreciate his efforts during his short tenure with our club. We wish him all the best."
Perez appeared in eight games for the Black-and-Red this season, starting just one, for a total of 268 minutes. He did not tally a goal or an assist. Prior to joining United this season, Perez played in two games, starting one, and tallied 98 minutes of action for the MetroStars.
The MetroStars originally selected the 25-year-old defender with the 48th overall pick in the fourth round of the 2000 MLS SuperDraft. Perez played a career-high 24 games, making 21 starts, while logging 1,948 minutes in 2001. During his rookie year in 2000, Perez appeared in 15 games, including four starts, totaling 546 minutes.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 18, 2002
- Crew Advances to Quarterfinals - Columbus Crew SC
- Galaxy to Face Earthquakes in US Open Cup - LA Galaxy
- MLS Game Previews - MLS
- Fire Acquires Orlando Perez from D.C. United - Chicago Fire
- D.C. United Trades Orlando Perez - D.C. United
- Colorado Advances to Next Round to Face Dallas - Colorado Rapids
- Earthquakes Earn Thrilling 4-3 OT Victory Over Seattle Sounders in U.S. Open Cup Match - San Jose Earthquakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- Audi Field Named as Host Venue for Week 6 Premier League Lacrosse Games
- D.C. United Announce Cherry Blossom Night on April 9
- Loudoun United FC Announce Groundbreaking Ceremony for Loudoun United Stadium
- D.C. United Sign Academy Product Griffin Yow as 12th Homegrown in Club History
- D.C. United Forward Wayne Rooney Voted MLS Player of the Week