D.C. United Signs F Jason Thompson
WASHINGTON, DC (July 23, 2004) - D.C. United announced today the signing of F Jason Thompson from the Dallas Burn in exchange for a 2006 4th Round MLS Superdraft selection and future considerations. Per League and team policy, the terms of the contract were not disclosed. Thompson joins United after being selected by Dallas in the second round (15th overall) of the 2003 MLS Superdraft. The 22 year-old Garland, Texas native will be available for Uniteds match tomorrow night against the Burn in Dallas. The match is scheduled to kick-off at 8:30 p.m. EST.
We are excited to have Jason join our organization, said Dave Kasper, United Technical Director. He is a talented young player and we look forward to his contributions to our team.
Thompson, a member of the U-23 National Team, has made just one appearance in league play this season as a result of spending time rehabilitating a torn ACL suffered while training with the U-23 National Team in Portugal in January. In 2003, he played with the U-23 National Team on a tour of England in which he scored two goals.
A standout in college, Thompson was an Honorable Mention All-Missouri Valley Conference selection in 2001, his second year at Eastern Illinois University. In 2000, he led the nation in goals and was runner-up in points. His efforts earned him a unanimous pick as Missouri Valley Conference Newcomer of the Year, Soccer America Freshman All-American, and Second Team All-Mid Region.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 23, 2004
- Wizards Host Dallas Burn August 4th in U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinals - Sporting Kansas City
- Pre-Game Report: MetroStars vs. Chicago Fire - New York Red Bulls
- Galaxy try to protect lead on the road - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Colorado Rapids Game Notes - Colorado Rapids
- Burn Trades Forward Jason Thompson To DC United - FC Dallas
- D.C. United Signs F Jason Thompson - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- Date Changed for United's Away Game against LAFC in May
- D.C. United and Fanatics Announce Multichannel Retail Partnership for Audi Field
- Date Changed for United's Away Game against Toronto FC in April
- United Announce Founding Partnership with Heineken
- United Acquire 2017 USL MVP Dane Kelly