D.C. United Makes Roster Moves
Washington, D.C. (May 26, 2007) - D.C. United announced today that forward Guy-Roland Kpene has earned a spot on the senior roster after accepting a new contract. The roster place was opened as forward Jamil Walker was placed on season ending injured reserve. Walker has undergone surgery to repair a ruptured Achilles tendon suffered last Saturday during the team's reserve division match against Toronto FC. Dr. Chris Annunziata performed the procedure at the Commonwealth Orthopedic VA Hospital Center. United returns to action this Saturday night at RFK Stadium, when the Black-and-Red host the Houston Dynamo. Kick-off for the match is set for 7:30 p.m. ET.
"Guy has earned an upgrade to the senior roster and we are excited about his future contributions to our club," said United Technical Director Dave Kasper. "We are pleased that Jamil's surgery was a success and we look forward to his return to the team for the 2008 season."
Taken in the third round (37th overall) in the Supplemental Draft, Kpene joined United in January from the Premier Development League's Brooklyn Lions, where he was the team's leading scorer. The Ivory Coast national has since played in both reserve games and three first-team games. He notched an assist on a goal by Christian Gomez in United's 2-1 victory over Chivas USA on May 6.
In Walker's two years with United, he has made 41 appearances (nine starts). A four-year MLS veteran, Walker spent time on the San Jose Earthquakes and Chivas USA before being acquired on exchange by the Black-and-Red. Walker led United's reserve team in 2005 with nine goals and three assists. In first team action that season, he notched two goals and seven assists as well as four goals in other cup competitions. Last season, he totaled a goal and an assist in the regular season and scored three goals in United's run to the semi-finals of the U.S. Open Cup. Walker began this season as an instrumental player on United's reserve team, but had yet to make an appearance in a League game.
Broadcasting and P.A. Request: When speaking of the organization, please refer to the team as either "D.C. United" or "United," but not "the D.C. United" or "the United." We appreciate your cooperation.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 26, 2007
- Herculez Burns Former Team for the Only Goal as Rapids Defeat Galaxy 1-0 - Colorado Rapids
- Kansas City Wizards Come Back from Two-Goal Deficit to Defeat New England Revolution 4-3 - Sporting Kansas City
- Ramón Ramírez announces retirement from soccer - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Twellman and Ralston score, but Revs see seven-game winning streak snapped - New England Revolution
- D.C. United Makes Roster Moves - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- D.C. United Duo Wayne Rooney and Luciano Acosta Make 2018 MLS Best XI
- D.C. United Defender Taylor Kemp Retires from Professional Soccer
- The FA to Honor Wayne Rooney
- D.C. United Fall to Columbus in Penalties
- D.C. United Forward Wayne Rooney Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA SPORTS