D.C. United Beat Atlanta 2-0 in MLS Opener at Audi Field
D.C. United 2 (1-0-0, 3 points) v. Atlanta United 0 (0-0-1, 0 points)
2019 MLS Regular Season
March 3, 2019 - Audi Field, Washington, D.C.
Paul Arriola scored the first goal of D.C. United's 2019 season in stoppage time (45+1') of the first half. Wayne Rooney and Luciano Acosta assisted on the goal from the corner kick.
Luciano Acosta scored his first goal of the season in the 58th minute.
Lucas Rodriguez assisted Acosta's goal in his first appearance for the Black-and-Red and first in MLS.
Leonardo Jara made his D.C. United debut, starting at the right back position.
Bill Hamid recorded his first clean sheet of 2019; his 55th career shutout.
The Black-and-Red are now 5-2-0 against Atlanta all time.
United are 4-0-0 against Atlanta at home.
D.C. United defeated Atlanta in their last match-up, a 3-1 win on September 2, 2018 at Audi Field.
The last time United opened their season against the MLS Cup defending champion was in 2004, when the Black-and-Red defeated the 2003 champion San Jose Earthquakes 2-1.
United are now 1-0-0 on the season.
The Black-and-Red last started their season with a win in 2015, a 1-0 win against Montreal Impact.
Atlanta United Lineup:
Brad Guzan, Miles Robinson, Michael Parkhurst ©, Leandro Gonzalez Pirez, Mikey Ambrose (Julian Gressel 59'), Brek Shea, Eric Remedi, Darlington Nagbe, Hector Villalba (Gonzalo Martinez 53'), Ezequiel Barco (Jeff Larentowicz 77'), Josef Martinez
Unused Substitutes: Gordon Wild, Alex Kann, Andrew Carleton, Romario Williams,
D.C. United Lineup:
Bill Hamid, Leonardo Jara, Joseph Mora, Steven Birnbaum, Frédéric Brillant, Luciano Acosta (Chris Durkin 88'), Paul Arriola, Russell Canouse, Júnior Moreno, Lucas Rodríguez (Ulises Segura 67'), Wayne Rooney (c)
Unused Substitutes: Chris Seitz, Quincy Amarikwa, Jalen Robinson, Chris McCann, Zoltán Stieber
Referee: Jair Marrufo
Assistant Referees: Frank Anderson, Jeffrey Greeson
Fourth Official: Marcos de Oliveria
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 4, 2019
- Chicago Fire Host Orlando City SC in Home Opener on Saturday Afternoon at SeatGeek Stadium - Chicago Fire
- Sounders FC Forward Jordan Morris Voted MLS Player of the Week - Seattle Sounders FC
- Seattle Sounders FC Forward Jordan Morris Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- New England Revolution and Chelsea FC Announce "Final Whistle on Hate" Match for May 15 - New England Revolution
- MNUFC Signs Tanzanian International Ally Hamis Ng'Anzi - Minnesota United FC
- Commissioner Don Garber Announces MLS Executive Staff Promotions - MLS
- Match Preview: Red Bulls and Liga BBVA Bancomer Santos Meet in SCCL Quarterfinals - New York Red Bulls
- Toronto FC Sign Alejandro Pozuelo as a Designated Player - Toronto FC
- MBS Will Transition to Stadium-Wide Cashless Transactions for Atlanta United Home Opener on March 10 - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC Defeats Sporting Kansas City 2-1 in Home Opener - Los Angeles FC
- Sporting Suffers Late 2-1 Loss to LAFC in MLS Opener - Sporting Kansas City
- D.C. United Beat Atlanta 2-0 in MLS Opener at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.