D.C. United Announce Cherry Blossom Night on April 9
D.C. United have announced that their MLS match against the Montreal Impact on Tuesday, April 9 has been designated as Cherry Blossom Night with D.C. United.
The National Cherry Blossom Festival commemorates the 1912 gift of 3,000 cherry trees from Mayor Yukio Ozaki of Tokyo to the city of Washington, DC. The Festival celebrates the enduring friendship between the people of the United States and Japan.
The National Cherry Blossom Festival now spans four weeks and welcomes more than 1.5 million people from all over the world to enjoy diverse and creative programming promoting traditional and contemporary arts and culture, natural beauty, and community spirit.
The commemorative D.C. United match on April 9 will mark the first time a professional sports game has been included as a part of the affiliated National Cherry Blossom Festival events. It will include unique Cherry Blossom themed engagement such as commemorative merchandise, special food and beverage, on-field entertainment and a unique single ticket offer including a collectable D.C. United and National Cherry Blossom Festival co-branded pin badge. Tickets for the inaugural Cherry Blossom Night with D.C. United match are available at dcunited.com/tickets
D.C. United's Head Coach Ben Olsen, who has attended multiple National Cherry Blossom Festivals in 21 years of living in the District as a player and coach, said: "We hope this partnership between the club and the Festival brings a new audience out to watch D.C. United. The National Cherry Blossom Festival is something that is distinctly DC and we're excited to partner with them for a themed night at Audi Field."
The National Cherry Blossom Festival, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization dedicated to promoting the beauty of nature and international friendship.
Learn more about their year-round programs, events and educational initiatives that enhance our environment, showcase arts and culture and build community spirit.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 20, 2019
- DaMarcus Beasley Undergoes Successful Arthroscopic Surgery to Treat Left Knee - Houston Dynamo
- Piatti Moves into Rare Company as He Reaches 100 Goals Plus Assists: MLS News & Notes - MLS
- 2019 National Soccer Hall of Fame Nominees Announced - New England Revolution
- Kemar Lawrence Joins Jamaica for CONCACAF Nations Qualification - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Announce Cherry Blossom Night on April 9 - D.C. United
- Bakero Loaned to Phoenix Rising FC - Toronto FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- Griffin Yow Named in World Cup Squad for U.S. U-17 Boys' National Team
- Arriola, Moreno and Rodriguez on International Duty Ahead of Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoff Match
- Time and Broadcast Update for Match against Toronto on October 19
- D.C. United Draw FC Cincinnati 0-0 in Final MLS Regular Season Match
- D.C. United Issues Club Statement on FloSports