Cutthroats Top Missouri with Late Heroics, 2-1
DENVER - Luke Fulghum deflected home the game-winner in the final minutes and the Denver Cutthroats held on in the end for a 2-1 win over the Missouri Mavericks on Tuesday night at the Independence Events Center in front of 5,627 to take over sole possession of fourth place in the Central Hockey League.
Denver (24-19-6) now moves two points ahead of Missouri (24-18-4) in the standings with 54 on the season. Fulghum deflected Aaron MacKenzie's point shot with 1:23 left in the game for his 15th of the season. Ben Wilson also picked up an assist. It was a power play goal.
The Mavericks pulled the goaltender in the final minute, but Millan capped off his 29-save performance by holding off a final rush for his 12th win of the season to snap a three-game winless skid for the Cutthroats (0-2-1).
Millan and Missouri's Mathieu Corbeil traded saves all-game long and the two rookie prospects dueled through 52:10 of scoreless hockey after the Mavericks knotted the game at 1-1 early in the first period. Both goaltenders kept the game tied by stopping shorthanded breakaways as part of their efforts.
Both teams traded first period goals as JP Chabot opened the scoring at 1:54 for Denver and Trevor Kell answered for the Mavericks four minutes later.
The Cutthroats return to the Mile High City where they will begin a home-and-home series on Friday with the Wichita Thunder. Friday's puck drop at the Denver Coliseum is set for 7:05 PM MST start.
1. Luke Fulghum (DEN)
2. Kieran Millan (DEN)
3. Trevor Kell (MIZ)
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 12, 2013
- Thunder Lose to Rapid City in Overtime, 2-1 - Wichita Thunder
- Cutthroats Top Missouri with Late Heroics, 2-1 - Denver Cutthroats
- Brahmas Stay Hot, Drop Sundogs in Overtime - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Madolora Shines in Oilers Shootout Win over Americans - Tulsa Oilers
- Mavericks Lose After Late Goal, 2-1, to Denver - Kansas City Mavericks
- Bloomington Drops Mallards 4-1; Toporowski Plays Thousandth Game - Quad City Mallards
- Blaze Score Three in First to Down Mallards - Bloomington Blaze
- Fort Worth's Brad Fogal Named Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week - CHL
- Fogal Named Oakley CHL Goalie of the Week - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Mavericks to Celebrate "Hockey Weekend Across America" - Kansas City Mavericks
- Have Biscuit take care of your sweetheart - Allen Americans
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
- Cutthroats Weekly Update - Denver Cutthroats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Cutthroats Stories
- Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Former Open Tryout Participant Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Cutthroats Hold Third Annual Open Tryouts
- Denver Cutthroats Add Two More to 2014-15 Roster
- Two Veterans Add Depth to Cutthroats 2014-15 Roster