Blaze Score Three in First to Down Mallards
MOLINE - The Bloomington Blaze, fueled by Mid-Illini Credit Union, recorded three first-period goals and defeated the Quad City Mallards 4-1 on Tuesday night at iWireless Center.
The Blaze struck first as Dan Barczuk put home a rebound of a David Gilbert shot with 17:10 left in the first period, but the Mallards answered just 62 seconds later when Mike Hellyer stabbed a rebound between the leg pads on assists from Bob Preece and Patrick Levesque. Jon Booras rifled a drive from the slot on the glove side on assists from Travis Granbois and Brett Lutes with 7:19 remaining in the opening period to give the Blaze a 2-1 lead. The Blaze extended the advantage to 3-1 with 2:29 left before the first intermission on a Tom Boudreau goal from Matt Puntereri and Nicolas Rioux.
The second period was scoreless until 2:29 remaining when Booras collected his second goal of the game on a one-timer from short range on the right side during a 5-on-3 power play with assists given to Steve Makway and Brett Lutes to give the Blaze a 4-1 lead at the second intermission.
Pier-Olivier Pelletier took the win in goal for the Blaze with 32 saves while Neil Conway took the loss with 26 stops.
The Blaze travel to suburban Kansas City for Friday game with the Missouri Mavericks before returning home to begin four straight games with the Rapid City Rush, who will visit U.S. Cellular Coliseum on Saturday and the following Wednesday, February 20. The first 1,500 fans on Saturday receive a Blaze cap compliments of Carpets Plus Color Tile.
The Wednesday, February 20 game was originally scheduled for this Sunday but moved due to a concert by Luke Bryan. Tickets dated Feb. 17 are good on Feb. 20 with no exchange necessary. The Feb. 20 game is Scout Night with admission only $6 for children and $10 for adults with scout patches for the night on sale for only $2.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 12, 2013
- Thunder Lose to Rapid City in Overtime, 2-1 - Wichita Thunder
- Cutthroats Top Missouri with Late Heroics, 2-1 - Denver Cutthroats
- Brahmas Stay Hot, Drop Sundogs in Overtime - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Madolora Shines in Oilers Shootout Win over Americans - Tulsa Oilers
- Mavericks Lose After Late Goal, 2-1, to Denver - Kansas City Mavericks
- Bloomington Drops Mallards 4-1; Toporowski Plays Thousandth Game - Quad City Mallards
- Blaze Score Three in First to Down Mallards - Bloomington Blaze
- Fort Worth's Brad Fogal Named Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week - CHL
- Fogal Named Oakley CHL Goalie of the Week - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Mavericks to Celebrate "Hockey Weekend Across America" - Kansas City Mavericks
- Have Biscuit take care of your sweetheart - Allen Americans
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
- Cutthroats Weekly Update - Denver Cutthroats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.