Cutthroats Sweep Weekend Games over Blaze with 3-1 Win
DENVER - Three different players scored goals and seven different players registered points for the Denver Cutthroats in a 3-1 win on Saturday night over the Bloomington Blaze to sweep a weekend pair of games in front of 3,176 at Denver Coliseum.
Luke Fulghum, Troy Schwab and Chris Greene each scored for Denver (23-17-5) while AJ Gale and Gabe Gauthier tallied two assists each. Brett Lutes and Brad Smyth also picked up helpers. With the win the Cutthroats extend their fourth-place lead in the Central Hockey League to five points over the Blaze (22-19-2) and Missouri.
Fulghum opened up the scoring in the game at 17:37 of the first period, tallying a goal on the first half of back-to-back, 5-on-3 power plays burying a rebound from the left circle for his 13th of the season.
The Cutthroats took a 2-0 lead 6:10 into the second period as Schwab tipped in a centering pass from Gale. It was Schwab's second straight game with a goal and Gale's 61st point of the season, tying him with Missouri's Sebastien Thinel for the league-lead overall.
Kyle Bochek got Bloomington on the scoreboard with 6:47 left in the middle period. The Blaze had the chance to tie the game three minutes later on a penalty shot but Kieran Millan stopped Leo Thomas' attempt.
Chris Greene scored the final tally of the evening, an empty-net goal from center ice with 49 seconds left in the game.
The first period featured a combined 46 penalty minutes - 38 of them being taken by the Blaze. Bloomington's Steve Makway had 14 of his 16 penalty minutes in the game during the first stanza. Denver finished 1-for-7 on the man-advantage while the Blaze went 0-for-4.
Millan earned his 11th win of the season with a 33-save performance while Bloomington's Pier-Olivier Pelletier took the loss going 33 of 36.
Denver is now 5-0-1 in their last six home games, including consecutive wins after returning from their 12-game road trip through the month of January.
The Cutthroats continue their home stretch on Tuesday when they host the Arizona Sundogs at 7:05 PM MST.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 2, 2013
- Americans Earn a Point in Shootout Loss to Rapid City - Allen Americans
- Cutthroats Sweep Weekend Games over Blaze with 3-1 Win - Denver Cutthroats
- Arizona Wins Again, Tops Ft. Worth 2-1 - Arizona Sundogs
- Blaze Drop Hard-Fought Decision in Denver - Bloomington Blaze
- Brahmas Lose 2-1 to Sundogs - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Mallards Take Down Mavericks, 5-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rush Come Storming Back for 3-2 Shootout Victory over Americans - Rapid City Rush
- Mallards Soar in Missouri - Quad City Mallards
- Central Hockey League Announces Suspension - CHL
- Brahmas fall in shootout - Fort Worth Brahmas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Cutthroats Stories
- Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Former Open Tryout Participant Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Cutthroats Hold Third Annual Open Tryouts
- Denver Cutthroats Add Two More to 2014-15 Roster
- Two Veterans Add Depth to Cutthroats 2014-15 Roster