Cutthroats Shut Down in Shootout
Rapid City - The Denver Cutthroats took on the Rapid City Rush on Saturday, January 18 in the second matchup of a three-game series at Rushmore Plaza Civic Center. The Rush defeated the Cutthroats in a shootout 3-2 in an infraction-filled affair that saw 82 penalty minutes served.
After stealing the puck in the Rush zone, Troy Schwab scored unassisted to give the Cutthroats a 1-0 lead early in the first period. With less than three seconds remaining in the opening period, Steve Kaunisto (Garett Bembridge, Schwab) slapped a shot from the point after the Rush turned it over in their zone to close the period 2-0.
Just over five minutes into the second period, Justin Faryna (Scott Wray, Riley Weselowski) scored to pull the Rush within one. After a pile-up in front of the net, Konrad Reeder (Winston Day Chief, Jesse Schultz) scored to tie the game at two and unleash mayhem in the arena. Multiple fights broke out in the aftermath leading to 38 total minutes of penalty time.
After going scoreless in the third period and overtime, Jared Brown won the game 3-2 for the Rapid City Rush in a five-round shootout. This was the Cutthroats fifth loss in a shootout during the 2013-14 season, the team's record now stands 18-11-7.
The Rapid City Rush will host the Denver Cutthroats for the final night in the three-game weekend series on Monday, January 20 at Rushmore Plaza Civic Center in Rapid City, South Dakota. The Cutthroats will return home to play the final pair of games of the Colorado Tour on Friday, January 24 and Saturday, January 25 at Dobson Ice Arena in Vail. For ticket information, visit DenverCutthroats.com or call 866.464.2626.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 19, 2014
- Booras Tallies Game Winner as Thunder Clip Mavs - Wichita Thunder
- Penalties Kill Mavericks' Shot in Wichita - Kansas City Mavericks
- CHL Suspends Missouri's Dave Pszenyczny - CHL
- Dave Pszenyczny Suspended 3 Games - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mavericks Sign Defenseman Evan Zych - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cutthroats Shut Down in Shootout - Denver Cutthroats
- Sundogs Fall in Shootout to Americans, 4-3 Loss - Arizona Sundogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Cutthroats Stories
- Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Former Open Tryout Participant Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Cutthroats Hold Third Annual Open Tryouts
- Denver Cutthroats Add Two More to 2014-15 Roster
- Two Veterans Add Depth to Cutthroats 2014-15 Roster