Cutthroats' First Game in Canada Is a Shootout Victory
Brampton - The Denver Cutthroats faced off with the Brampton Beast in Brampton, Ontario on Friday, March 7. The Beast made a strong comeback in the third period, but it was a Cutthroat who sealed the 5-4 victory in a sudden death shootout.
The Cutthroats took a quick two-goal lead during the opening period of play. Aaron MacKenzie (Sean Zimmerman) was the first to find the back of the Beast's net. Just seconds after the face off draw, Denver's Vincent Arseneau broke away to score the Cutthroats second goal of the night. Brett Smith (Frank Littlejohn, Jamie VanderVeeken) responded with Brampton's first goal of the night. With eight minutes remaining, J.P. Chabot (A.J. Gale, Troy Schwab) fired the puck into the opposing team's cage to close the first period 3-1 Denver.
Frank Littlejohn (Jason Pitton) cut the deficit by one with a shot past the Denver Cutthroats netminder John Griggs. Robin Soudek (Cam Reid, Arseneau) fired a puck top shelf to give the Cutthroats a 4-2 lead.
The Brampton Beast made a strong comeback with two consecutive and unanswered goals in the final period of regulation. A shot by Brett Smith (Tylor Michel, Andrew Fournier) pulled Brampton within one. A minute later, teammate Andrew Fournier (Smith, Michel) tied the score at four with a shot to the top shelf to send the game into overtime. After a scoreless overtime and five-round shootout, the Beast and Cutthroats headed into sudden death. It took nine total skaters, but Denver's Kyle Fletcher was able to sink the game-winning goal to give the Cutthroats a 5-4 victory.
The Denver Cutthroats and Brampton Beast will battle again on Sunday, March 9 at the Powerade Centre in Brampton, Ontario. The puck drops at 2:00 PM EST. The Cutthroats will return to the Denver Coliseum for a three-game weekend series on Friday, March 14, Saturday, March 15 and Sunday, March 16. For ticket information, visit DenverCutthroats.com or call 866.464.2626.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 7, 2014
- Mavericks Top Americans 3-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Oilers' Win Streak Halted by Rush in 5-2 Setback - Tulsa Oilers
- Mallards Two-Goal Lead Tops the Sundogs - Arizona Sundogs
- Cutthroats' First Game in Canada Is a Shootout Victory - Denver Cutthroats
- Mallards Stop Sundogs - Quad City Mallards
- Americans Fall to Missouri 3-1 - Allen Americans
- Shots from the Point for March 7, 2014 - CHL
- Americans Start Big Weekend in Missouri Tonight - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Cutthroats Stories
- Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Former Open Tryout Participant Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Cutthroats Hold Third Annual Open Tryouts
- Denver Cutthroats Add Two More to 2014-15 Roster
- Two Veterans Add Depth to Cutthroats 2014-15 Roster