Cutthroats Fall Short in 4-3 Loss to Brahmas
DENVER - Two goals in the third period, including a shorthanded tally, was the difference on Friday night as the Fort Worth Brahmas topped the Denver Cutthroats by a 4-3 final at Denver Coliseum.
With the loss the Cutthroats (23-18-6) fall five points back of the Brahmas (25-16-5) for third place in the Central Hockey League standings. Tomas Klempa scored the Brahmas' shorthanded tally at 3:15 of the third period as part of a two-goal night, and Ross Rouleau added the game-winner just over five minutes later from the point.
The Cutthroats held leads of 1-0, 2-1, and 3-2 in the game before the Brahmas took control in the third. The loss snaps Denver's seven-game unbeaten streak and AJ Gale extended his point streak for the Fish to six games with a first period assist.
Brad Smyth opened up the game's scoring at 2:15 of the first when Gale's pass led him through the left circle for his 20th of the season. Klempa tied the game with 5:16 left to play in the frame for his first of the night, but Brent Cullaton scored a breakaway goal less than a minute later to make it a 2-1 game favoring Denver.
The Brahmas tied it up at 6:59 of the second on a goal from Calin Wild. Cullaton then picked up his second point of the night, assisting on Luke Fulghum's goal with 3:31 left to cap off a 2-on-1 rush.
Kieran Millan took the loss for the Cutthroats stopping 20 of 24 shots. Kristofer Westblom earned the Brahmas win stopping 23 of 26.
The Cutthroats finished 0-for-6 on the power play, while the Brahmas went 0-for-3.
The Cutthroats and Brahmas close out their weekend set on Saturday at 7:05 PM MST at the Denver Coliseum.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 8, 2013
- Cutthroats Fall Short in 4-3 Loss to Brahmas - Denver Cutthroats
- Sundogs Fall Short in 2-1 Loss against Rapid City - Arizona Sundogs
- Home-Sweet-Home; Rush Outlast Sundogs in 2-1 Victory - Rapid City Rush
- Brahmas Come Back, Top Cutthroats 4-3 - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Perdicaro, Mallards Erupt, Down Bloomington 9-6 - Quad City Mallards
- Shootout Gives Oilers Fifth Straight Win - Tulsa Oilers
- Mavs Fall to First-Place Americans, 5-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Second Period Onslaught Drops Blaze - Bloomington Blaze
- Mavericks' Defenseman Jesse Perrin Suspended for Tonight's Game - Kansas City Mavericks
- Central Hockey League Announces Suspensions - CHL
- Shots from the Point for February 8, 2013 - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Cutthroats Stories
- Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Former Open Tryout Participant Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Cutthroats Hold Third Annual Open Tryouts
- Denver Cutthroats Add Two More to 2014-15 Roster
- Two Veterans Add Depth to Cutthroats 2014-15 Roster