Cutthroats Fall in Wichita, 9-5
WICHITA, Kan. - The flood gates opened offensively between the Denver Cutthroats and Wichita Thunder on Friday night as the two teams combined for 14 goals in a 9-5 final favoring the Thunder at Intrust Bank Arena in front of 4,513.
AJ Gale scored twice and Gabe Gauthier tallied three assists for the Cutthroats (28-23-7), who stay tied with Missouri for fifth place in the Central Hockey League standings and drop four points back of Rapid City after they won their contest. Neil Trimm and Ian Lowe each tallied two goals and two assists for the Thunder (33-17-8).
13 of the 14 goals scored came in the second and third periods after Matt Summers game the Thunder a 1-0 lead with 5:12 remaining in the first.
The Cutthroats took a 2-1 lead in the second with a JP Chabot power play goal at 4:08 of the second and Gale's 36th of the season just over a minute later. Wichita responded with four unanswered goals to open up a 5-2 lead that the Fish could not overcome, despite chipping away throughout the remainder of the game starting with a power play goal by Luke Fulghum from the right circle with eight seconds left in the period.
The Thunder's RG Flath and Denver's Gale traded goals in the opening minutes of the third. Andrew Martens and Flath again each added power play goals to make it an 8-4 score. Joel Chouinard scored Denver's final goal with 6:04 left to play and Trimm tallied his second of the night with 3:02 remaining.
Torrie Jung took the win for Wichita stopping 25-of-30 shots and Kieran Millan was tagged with the Denver loss turning away 23.
Wichita finished 5-for-7 on the power play while the Cutthroats went 2-for-6.
The Cutthroats host the Rapid City Rush in their final home game of the season on Sunday at 4:05 PM MST at the Denver Coliseum.
1. Neil Trimm (WIC)
2. Ian Lowe (WIC)
3. RG Flath (WIC)
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 8, 2013
- Oilers Back on Track with 2-1 Triumph over Blaze - Tulsa Oilers
- Brahmas Clinch Playoff Berth with Shootout Win - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Rush Topple League-Leading Americans 3-1 - Rapid City Rush
- Power Play Propels Thunder Past Cutthroats - Wichita Thunder
- Sundogs Drop Game against Brahmas, 4-3 - Arizona Sundogs
- Cutthroats Fall in Wichita, 9-5 - Denver Cutthroats
- First-Period Goals Trip Blaze in Tulsa - Bloomington Blaze
- Mavs Lose to Mallards, 7-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mallards Roll 7-2 in Missouri - Quad City Mallards
- Mavericks Game Tonight Will Not be Broadcast on 1660-AM - Kansas City Mavericks
- Deal Finalized; Central Hockey League Team to Call Brampton Home - Brampton Beast
- Central Hockey League Finalizes Agreement with Brampton, Ontario - CHL
- Tulsa Oilers Hosting Military Night for Folds of Honor Foundation - Tulsa Oilers
- Shots from the Point for March 8, 2013 - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Cutthroats Stories
- Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Former Open Tryout Participant Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Cutthroats Hold Third Annual Open Tryouts
- Denver Cutthroats Add Two More to 2014-15 Roster
- Two Veterans Add Depth to Cutthroats 2014-15 Roster