Crognale, Brett Named to USL Championship Team of the Week
TAMPA, Fla. - The USL Championship announced the Team of the Week Presented by Cleer Audio for Week 13 of the 2020 regular season on Tuesday, with Legion FC's defender Alex Crognale and forward Neco Brett both earning a place in the side.
Crognale scored twice in BHM's big win at Miami FC last Wednesday night. He headed home his second goal of the season from a corner, and popped up in the box at the right place, right time to put away his third goal of the season after the opposing 'keeper spilled a save in his six-yard box. The defender also recorded six clearances and two blocks defensively, won both of his aerial duels, completed 31 passes, and helped Legion FC hold Miami FC to only two shots on target while earning the shutout.
Brett bagged the other two goals in the Legion FC victory, taking his season total up to nine, which is tied for fourth-most in the USL Championship. The forward managed three shots in the contest and added one key pass while completing 73% of his passes. This is Brett's third time being named to the Team of the Week in this abbreviated season.
Miami FC v. Birmingham Legion FC Match Highlights - 9/16/2020
The Championship's Player of the Week is selected by the USL National Media Panel, which is made up of representatives from each media market in the Championship.
USL Championship Team of the Week - Week 13
GK - Abraham Romero, LA Galaxy II: Romero recorded eight saves, made two punched clearances and one high claim to help keep Los Dos in the game as it rallied for a 3-2 victory against Las Vegas Lights FC last Tuesday night.
D - Forrest Lasso, Tampa Bay Rowdies: Lasso scored once, recorded three interceptions and five clearances, and won 5 of 8 duels and 4 of 4 aerial duels in Tampa Bay's 2-1 victory against Atlanta United 2.
D - Alex Crognale, Birmingham Legion FC: Crognale scored twice and helped Legion FC hold Miami FC to only two shots on target as he recorded six clearances defensively in Birmingham's 4-0 road victory last Wednesday night.
D - Sam Fink, Saint Louis FC: Fink scored a crucial game-winning goal in stoppage time to add to an earlier assist as Saint Louis kept its postseason hopes alive with a 3-2 victory against Sporting Kansas City II on Saturday night.
D - Aaron Maund, Charlotte Independence: Maund scored the lone goal of the game, won 6 of 8 duels and 5 of 7 aerial duels, made 11 clearances and completed 35 of 43 passes as the Independence defeated North Carolina FC.
M - Brian Ownby, Louisville City FC: Ownby recorded one goal and two assists across two wins, completing 41 of 49 passes and 3 of 5 dribbles and recording six chances created as LouCity defeated Indy Eleven and Memphis 901 FC.
M - Jorge Gonzalez, Portland Timbers 2: Gonzalez recorded two goals and one assist across two games, completing 50 of 60 passes overall and recording five chances created as T2 defeat Real Monarchs SLC before falling to Reno 1868 FC.
M - Christiano Francois, Reno 1868 FC: Francois scored twice in Reno's 5-2 victory against the Portland Timbers 2 on Sunday, and across two wins for 1868 FC against Tacoma Defiance and the Portland Timbers 2 over the week completed 34 of 41 passes and recorded five chances created.
F - Cameron Lancaster, Louisville City FC: Lancaster recorded three goals and one assist across two victories against Indy Eleven and Memphis 901 FC, and in the process reached 50 regular season goals in the Championship for his career.
F - Rubio Rubin, San Diego Loyal SC: Rubin scored a first-half hat trick for SD Loyal as it took a 3-2 victory against Phoenix Rising FC for its third win in a row, keeping the club's hopes of a playoff berth in its inaugural season alive.
F - Alex Dixon, Hartford Athletic: Dixon scored three goals across two victories against the New York Red Bulls II and Philadelphia Union II that saw the Athletic clinch a trip to the playoffs in its second season.
Bench: Matt Cardone (SA), Younes Boudadi (RNO), Marcus Epps (POR), Augustine Williams (LA), Neco Brett (BHM), Jordan Perruzza (SA), Junior Flemmings (PHX) (via USL Championship)
Legion FC returns home to BBVA Field to face North Carolina FC on Saturday, September 26, at 6:30PM for the final home match of the regular season. Get your tickets at bhmlegion.com/tickets, by emailing [email protected], or by calling the Legion FC Ticket Office at 205-791-7145.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 22, 2020
- STLFC Comes Back to Draw 2-2 against Pittsburgh Riverhounds - Saint Louis FC
- Around the League - USL Playoff Push - Sacramento Republic FC
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs New York Red Bulls II - Atlanta United 2
- Preview: Austin Bold FC vs Sporting Kansas City II - Austin Bold FC
- Charlotte Independence v Miami FC: Match Preview - Charlotte Independence
- Austin Youth Standout AJ Francois Joins Austin Bold FC - Austin Bold FC
- Loudoun United FC Match against the Charleston Battery Postponed - Loudoun United FC
- Crognale, Brett Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Birmingham Legion FC
- Aaron Maund Named to Week 13 USL Team of the Week - Charlotte Independence
- SD Loyal's Rubio Rubin Named USL Championship Player of the Week Ã¢ÂÂ Week 13 - San Diego Loyal
- San Diego's Rubio Rubin earns Player of the Week after hat trick in victory against Rising FC - USL
- Christiano Francois and Younes Boudadi named to USL Team of the Week - Reno 1868 FC
- Match against North Carolina FC Postponed - Memphis 901 FC
- Three Takeaways from #SACvTAC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Kickoff Time Changed for LouCity Finale - Louisville City FC
- SD Loyal Heads North to Face Group B Rival LA Galaxy II - San Diego Loyal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Birmingham Legion FC Stories
- USL Academy League Confirms Founding Southeast Division Members
- Alex Crognale Named Legion FC Defensive Player of the Year
- Legion FC Falls in Conference Quarterfinals
- Playoff Match Preview: Legion FC at Tampa Bay Rowdies - Saturday, October 10
- Legion FC Clinches Spot in 2020 USL Championship Playoffs