Crew Acquires Midfielder Manny Lagos from San Jose for Draft Pick
COLUMBUS, Ohio (Tuesday, January 13) - Columbus Crew President and General Manager Jim Smith announced today that The Crew has acquired midfielder Manny Lagos from the San Jose Earthquakes in exchange for The Crew's 2005 natural third-round SuperDraft pick.
"I am incredibly excited," said Lagos. "I am from the Midwest and Columbus is a great club. They have great facilities and it is a great atmosphere for soccer. I am looking forward to it."
Lagos joined the league in 1996 and has appeared in 147 regular season games, starting 110. He has tallied 85 points on 26 goals and 33 assists. Heading into 2004, the St. Paul, Minnesota, native has notched double-digit points in five consecutive seasons. Besides San Jose (2001-2003), he has also played for Tampa Bay (1999-2000), Chicago (1998-1999) and the MetroStars (1996-1997).
"In Manny we are getting a player who has won a couple of MLS Championships in San Jose and who is a solid, proven professional," said Crew Head Coach Greg Andrulis. "He is a player who can play on the left or right side of the midfield. It is an important veteran acquisition for us as we move toward the 2004 season."
The former University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee star has also appeared in 14 playoff games, starting 14, and has tallied four goals and four assists. He helped lead San Jose to MLS Cup titles in 2001 and 2003. On the international level, Lagos has made three appearances for the U.S. National Team and was a member of the 1992 Olympic Team where he scored the game-winning goal in the U.S.'s only win in Barcelona. Prior to MLS, he played for his father for six years with the A-League's Minnesota Thunder. Lagos also spent a season in Spain and France. Manny and his wife, Aimee, have two children, Manny Jr. (born in May 2002), and Jackson (born in October 2003).
"Manny is a proven veteran and all-star in this league and we are excited to have him," said Smith. "The addition of him and Simon Elliott solidifies our midfield."
The 32-year-old Lagos will join The Crew at the start of February when the team reports for camp. The 2004 MLS SuperDraft takes place this Friday in Charlotte starting at 10 a.m.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 13, 2004
- Earthquakes Comment on Moore's Resignation - San Jose Earthquakes
- Tom Soehn Joins Nowak's Staff - D.C. United
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire 2005 Third Round SuperDraft Selection From Columbus Crew - San Jose Earthquakes
- Crew Acquires Midfielder Manny Lagos from San Jose for Draft Pick - Columbus Crew SC
- Rapids Weekly Report - Colorado Rapids
- Galaxy Looking for Next Star at 2004 MLS SuperDraft - LA Galaxy
- D.C. United in the Community - D.C. United
- MLS Adds Two Top Prospects - MLS
- MetroStars Announce Formation of U-15 Team - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Hosts FC Dallas at MAPFRE Stadium Tomorrow
- Columbus Crew SC Sends Defender Alex Crognale on Loan
- Columbus Crew SC's Waylon Francis, Justin Meram and Aboubacar Keita Receive International Call-Ups
- Three Columbus Crew SC Player Receive International Call-Ups from the United States Men's National Team
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Travels to Gillette Stadium to Face the New England Revolution on Saturday