Court Headlines, Iowa and Memphis Split Doubleheader
MEMPHIS, TN - The Iowa Cubs (35-62) avoided the sweep, Thursday at AutoZone Park as they took the nightcap of a twin bill from the Memphis Redbirds (62-36). The Redbirds took Game 1 4-1, before Iowa clapped back with a 3-0 victory in Game 2.
In Game 1, Eddie Butler posted his best outing since joining Iowa on a rehab assignment at the end of June, but was the unlucky loser as the I-Cubs were held to one run. Butler spun 5.0 innings, allowing two runs - one earned - on four hits. He walked none and struck out one.
Iowa plated its sole run in the fifth as a Ryan Court leadoff walk turned into a run on a Will Remillard sacrifice fly, his first Triple-A RBI. Court tabbed two of Iowa's five hits in the 7.0-inning game.
Casey Coleman got the ball in Game 2 and carried the I-Cubs both offensively and defensively. The righty scattered four hits and one walk through 6.0 innings and put the I-Cubs on the board in the second with an RBI double.
Court added to the Iowa lead with a solo shot in the fifth - his eighth of the season - before Mark Zagunis mirrored the effort with his own solo blast in the sixth to give Iowa the 3-0 edge.
Dillon Maples took the final frame for Iowa and after a dropped third strike on the first batter, fanned four in one inning for the second time this season. The scoreless framed helped Iowa secure its second shutout in five games
Court headlined Iowa's offense, going 4-for-5 on the night with one walk, two runs and two RBI. With hits in both games, Court extended his hitting streak to 14 games.
Iowa returns to Principal Park tomorrow for a three-game weekend series with the New Orleans Baby Cakes. The set kicks off with a 7:08 first pitch for Firework Friday. For more information or tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 19, 2018
- Express Bid Farewell to Sky Sox with 4-3 Win - Round Rock Express
- Baby Cakes Come Back to Defeat Dodgers, 4-2 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- 'Cakes Rally to Win - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Court Headlines, Iowa and Memphis Split Doubleheader - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Split Doubleheader with Iowa - Memphis Redbirds
- Four-Run Sixth Leads Sounds to Win - Nashville Sounds
- Sounds Take Series with 4-2 Win over Omaha - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Homestand Highlights: July 20-22 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Reno Aces Game Notes vs. Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Omaha Storm Chasers (42-53) at Nashville Sounds (46-49) - Nashville Sounds
- Isotopes Nuke Chihuahuas 16-1 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Former River Cats Outfielder Eric Byrnes Returns to Raley Field Tuesday, July 24 - Sacramento River Cats
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 19, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces to Host "Home Run for Life" Ceremony July 20 - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (61-35) vs Iowa Cubs (34-61) - (DH) - Memphis Redbirds
- Kelly strikes out ten as River Cats clobber Grizzlies - Sacramento River Cats
- Bees Win Third Straight over 51s - Salt Lake Bees
- SAC puts up two crooked innings en route to a 12-2 win over Grizz - Fresno Grizzlies
- Yasmany Tomas Homers Twice in Aces Win over Tacoma - Reno Aces
- Tacoma Drops Second Straight In Reno, 7-3 - Tacoma Rainiers
- 'Cakes Lose in Another Walk-Off - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Express Bounce Back with 10-8 Win over Sky Sox - Round Rock Express
- Garlick Sends Dodgers to Walk-Off Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Chihuahuas Doomed by Bad Start - El Paso Chihuahuas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.