Courage Host San Diego Wave FC for First Time Sunday
North Carolina Courage vs. San Diego Wave FC
Sunday, May 22 at 2 p.m. ET
WakeMed Soccer Park, Cary, NC
CARY, NC - The North Carolina Courage will host NWSL-newcomer San Diego Wave FC for the first time Sunday, May 22, at 2 p.m. ET. Match tickets can be found here, and the game will be broadcast live on Paramount+, Twitch (internationally) and FOX50 (locally).
Recording of the pre-match press conference with Sean Nahas and Emily Gray can be found here.
Last Time Out: The North Carolina Courage fell just short last Wednesday as they were bested by the Orlando Pride, 2-1.
Despite a hard-fought battle through the full 90 and several chances to equalize in stoppage time, the Courage were not able to come all the way back from the Pride's early attack. Sydney Leroux opened scoring for Orlando in just the fourth minute and Mikayla Cluff tallied her eventual game-winner just before halftime. North Carolina midfielder Brianna Pinto added a goal for the Courage in the 86th minute to stop the shutout.
Notably, Carson Pickett recorded her 100th regular season NWSL appearance during the match, and Casey Murphy made her return to the starting lineup since sustaining an injury early in preseason. Pickett's milestone makes her the 58th NWSL player to reach the marker and just the 55th field player to do so.
Where to Watch: Paramount+, Twitch (internationally), FOX50 (local)
Players to Watch Presented by JubliaRX.com
North Carolina Courage - #8 Denise O'Sullivan
Courage veteran Denise O'Sullivan is a powerhouse in the midfield, with more than 106 NWSL matches played (8,075 minutes), showing her prowess by getting to the ball quickly and efficiently. O'Sullivan boasts three interceptions, an 80% tackle rate and an 86.2% pass success rate this season. Unmissable on the pitch, look for the Irish international to bring her leadership and determination to the pitch once again this weekend.
San Diego Wave FC - #13 Alex Morgan
With five goals in just four games played so far this season, San Diego Wave FC forward Alex Morgan is doing what she does best - scoring and creating key chances for her teammates. Morgan has recorded 12 shots (with eight on target) and three key passes, and leads the league in goals, shots and shots on goal. We all know Morgan to be dangerous on her own, but the 3-1-0 San Diego squad is a force to be reckoned with as a whole.
Up Next: The North Carolina Courage hit the road again as they travel to take on the Houston Dash on Sunday, May 29, at 7 p.m. ET. The match will be streamed live on Paramount+, Twitch.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from May 21, 2022
- Angel City FC Defeats Kansas City Current 1-0 - Angel City FC
- Kansas City Current Drop Close Match in Los Angeles - Kansas City Current
- Dash Earn Three Road Points with 2-0 Win over Portland Thorns - Houston Dash
- Thorns FC Fall 2-0 to Houston Dash at Providence Park - Portland Thorns FC
- Kansas City Current Sign Midfielder Jada Talley as COVID Replacement Player - Kansas City Current
- Courage Host San Diego Wave FC for First Time Sunday - North Carolina Courage
- What to Watch for with Racing at NJ/NY Gotham FC - Racing Louisville FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent North Carolina Courage Stories
- Debinha, Carson Pickett Named to June NWSL Best XI of the Month
- Taylor Smith, Courage Mutually Agree to Part Ways
- Courage Comeback Cut Short
- Courage, Syneos Health Announce Summer Series of Girls Soccer Clinics
- Courage Best Spirit on the Road Saturday Night